BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad to 3d studio max and back..

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to know if there is a feature for updating your model ind 3d studio max. (Reference file)

I have been very happy with the feature in artlantis vs. archicad. It is a feature like this I am in the search for.?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ede, I have had a look at these import option and will give this a go. Do I need to attach the polys? Or better what happen if I don't !

I like that the material names come over in full as where in 3ds it's only 7 characters.

I had no problems so far with 3ds but it's always good to try something different.
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi guys. I know this is somewhat old, but recently stumbled upon it after a search.
The feature you want to "update" your 3dsmax model is "there". The .obj workflow will overwrite a lot of stuff on re-import.
The workflow I use, and is quite effective and something I've been using for some time now is:
archicad->.3ds :export as 3ds, set up scale, export by materials.
.3ds->autoCAD :IMPORT .3ds into autoCAD, ADD all objects exported in the import dialog box, tell autoCAD to create layers by object (this will create objects by material in autoCAD)
autoCAD->.dwg :save your imported .3ds geometry as a 3dsmax compatible .dwg (just make sure your 3dsmax version reads the .dwg output)
.dwg->3DSmax :use the file link utility to import the autoCAD .dwg file. Adjust the settings and create a standard import options file.

If you later change something in AC, add objects, remove them, etc, just keep an eye on your materials. Export the .3ds again, in the autoCAD .dwg erase everything and reimport with the same options, save again to the same .dwg and in 3DSmax, just update the file link.

This workflow WILL KEEP ALL YOUR MATERIALS ASSIGMENTS (if specified in the reload options) AND ALL YOUR UVMAPS AND MODIFIERS. It will just update the geometry.

In the end, it would be like exporting a .3ds from archicad, but using autocad as intermediary to be able to update the geometry.

Hope this helps.
Best regards.
Learn and get certified!