Collaborate forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archicad to 3d studio max and back..

mallehk
Newcomer
I would like to know if there is a feature for updating your model ind 3d studio max. (Reference file)

I have been very happy with the feature in artlantis vs. archicad. It is a feature like this I am in the search for.?
AC 22
3D Studio Max/Corona Render
11 REPLIES 11

TMA_80
Contributor
Hi,
Olivier Gras has developped a plugin for this purpose but I can't say how effecient it is ..... you've to .

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/archicad-importer
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|

mallehk
Newcomer
Hi TMA

I can see the link is not working anymore.

I don't think he is making the script anymore.
AC 22

TMA_80
Contributor
Hi Mallek, I didn't notice that the website is down ( hope they will fix that soon) , Olivier , what is hapenning ?!

Anyway, This should be the file;

If i remember correctly: you've to open 3dsmax , drag this mzp file on the 3dsmax viewport and then an ArchiCAD sub menu should appear somewhere ( look for it in the tools options...)
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|

mallehk
Newcomer
Thanks TMA

Will it work for the latest version of 3DS.? (2011)
AC 22

TMA_80
Contributor
I've installed it on Max2010 with no problems so far... couldn't say anything about 2011 but as the file was updated on 10/2010, I guess it should work...
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|

mallehk
Newcomer
OK.Thanks.
AC 22

mallehk
Newcomer
Hi TMA

It didn't work with 2011. 😞

Martin

Will this plugin go both ways, if ýou haft to update your model.?
AC 22

mallehk
Newcomer
Does anybody knows about a tutorial for using archicad together with 3d studio max.?
AC 22

Ede Abos
Newcomer
Hi,

the best method I get for now, is to export the 3D model from Archicad as Wavefront object (.obj) and to to import it in 3dsmax. The model is imported as editable poly. You have to work a little to attach the poly's because they are split in two parts the smooth and the flat part but it worth because you get a much smoother result in case of curved objects and terrain mesh compared to the .3ds export, and you can further improve them in max.

If you have earlier version of max you can download an .obj importing plugin from http://www.maxplugins.de

If you have to change a part of the model you can delete that part in the max scene and to import again the modified one from AC, remap and render.

Have fun.

Regards Ede (Edward)
obj import options.jpg
Archicad 13/14,Windows XP-x64, Dell Precision 690, dual Quad-core , 8Gb RAM

Carstene
Newcomer
Ede, I have had a look at these import option and will give this a go. Do I need to attach the polys? Or better what happen if I don't !

I like that the material names come over in full as where in 3ds it's only 7 characters.

I had no problems so far with 3ds but it's always good to try something different.
Cheers Carsten

www.emdeimages.com.au

sinceV6
Participant
Hi guys. I know this is somewhat old, but recently stumbled upon it after a search.
The feature you want to "update" your 3dsmax model is "there". The .obj workflow will overwrite a lot of stuff on re-import.
The workflow I use, and is quite effective and something I've been using for some time now is:
archicad->.3ds :export as 3ds, set up scale, export by materials.
.3ds->autoCAD :IMPORT .3ds into autoCAD, ADD all objects exported in the import dialog box, tell autoCAD to create layers by object (this will create objects by material in autoCAD)
autoCAD->.dwg :save your imported .3ds geometry as a 3dsmax compatible .dwg (just make sure your 3dsmax version reads the .dwg output)
.dwg->3DSmax :use the file link utility to import the autoCAD .dwg file. Adjust the settings and create a standard import options file.

If you later change something in AC, add objects, remove them, etc, just keep an eye on your materials. Export the .3ds again, in the autoCAD .dwg erase everything and reimport with the same options, save again to the same .dwg and in 3DSmax, just update the file link.

This workflow WILL KEEP ALL YOUR MATERIALS ASSIGMENTS (if specified in the reload options) AND ALL YOUR UVMAPS AND MODIFIERS. It will just update the geometry.

In the end, it would be like exporting a .3ds from archicad, but using autocad as intermediary to be able to update the geometry.

Hope this helps.
Best regards.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!