BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Beam volume doubled in schedule?

kajnorberg
Booster
Hi!

Today I discovered a curious issue when calculating material volumes. All my beams doubled their volume in the schedule. I tried converting them all to morphs and all of them were halved in volume to their correct amount. Why is this happening? It is creating quite a lot of problems for me!

Thank you!
/Kaj
Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I'd also check the schedule scheme, is it checking Beam and/or Beam Segment? It may be checking the Beam and Beam Segment data - may want to add element type is not Beam Segment.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
What type of schedule is it - element or component?
Can you post a screen shot of the schedule settings - criteria and fields?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I'd also check the schedule scheme, is it checking Beam and/or Beam Segment? It may be checking the Beam and Beam Segment data - may want to add element type is not Beam Segment.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
vdentello
Advocate
The Same applies for Columns. You Have to either select Beam Parts or "Full" Beam, if you calculate volume you have to exclude one of them or you'll get duplicate values.
They actually "coexist" in the model.
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil
kajnorberg
Booster
Ah yes, thank you all! That was it!

I was using the components interactive schedule and hadn't really specified what element types should be included, but it worked if I removed either one of them.

Thanks again!
Archicad 24-26 SWE
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 11 Pro
DavorP
Enthusiast

TBH, this is a quite radical approach GS is taking to scheduling items. It is not clear at all this will happen when you create a schedule.

In my opinion, it should exclude double elements by default or simply not schedule them unless they are implicitly specified.

Hope GS realises that a lot of schedules created in Archicad are most likely issued with wrong quantities.

My wish would be to have a category of items to include/exclude in schedules or selection criteria etc.. Similar to how you have "All types", "3D types" and "2D types", perhaps "All subcomponents" or whatever naming convention GS chooses to use.

It is a bit of work to add a long list of exclusions every time you are building a schedule.

BIM manager
Botonis
Advisor

When you just have a single-segment beam thus a single beam why is Archicad doubles the volume.......?

Why do you have to add the beam element filtering when there is no multisegmented beam in the elements you want to schedule....?

Trying hard to understand.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

All beams are segmented, even when they have just one segment.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Just as well that you were able to pick up that error @kajnorberg. Who knows what else is not calculating correctly in the schedule lists ??? Nothing wrong with going over the elements list with a fine tooth comb. It can make the difference between winning the project and or not allowing enough money to cover the complete construction costs. No substitute for expert judgement and scrutinising the quantities and associated costs.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

I get that but the fact that only volume is shown x2 and not surfaces makes things a little bit confusing.

The logical thing would be for one segment beams the volume should be equal to just that one segment.... I guess.....

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Learn and get certified!