Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Creating Hotlinks...right in the same TW file?

rob2218
Enthusiast
ok, so I've started this new office.
They are gearing up with Archicad and have "some" users who know there way round the program.

But...I've run across some initial issues:
1. they have a tendancy to "hotlink" pieces of the same apartment unit into other floors? is this a common practice? it's very strange for me to hotlink "something" that is already in the TW file itself.
2. grouping- they have a tendacy to "group" similar units (which are those hotlinks by the way) all over the entire time work file..makes for very confusing organization.
3. they create "story levels" below the last "grade/or ground" story level" and use those as hotlinks?...again..I just find that a peculiar way of organizing a TW file.
4. the MOD's are ALSO coming from INSIDE the same TW file...WTF?

So, with that/this said....folks...have any of you ever run across this type of file organization setup?? Please, enlighten me if you have.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
24 REPLIES 24
rob2218
Enthusiast
Like I said...part of my archicad experience that I more than want to forget...........completely. Just the mere fact that the boss was a A&^%$! was enough for me to NOT retain anything that happened there......archicad or not.
sorry...I hope you can get that MOD, Hotlink, TW thing sorted out.
adambeazley wrote:
Ok I guess that is what that "Replace selection with this hotlinked module file" checkbox is for...

Unfortunately that checkbox is grayed out in teamwork, which is what we always use. doh!!
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Barry Kelly
adambeazley wrote:
Unfortunately that checkbox is grayed out in teamwork, which is what we always use. doh!!
In teamwork you need to make sure your user role has permission to perform the tasks you want to do.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I think there was some confusion on the Hotlink Module process. Modules (MOD) are separate files that are saved out from the Source file. They can either be edited independently, or updated in the Source file and overwritten (typically using the Publisher). It's CRITICAL that the team decides one way or another. Then the MODs are Hotlinked into the Host file. We prefer to have the Host and Source be the same. Check out my post below to explain why the Hotlink Module Sources should come from the same file as the Host (hint: Attributes).

One thing I have discovered, which appears to have worked since ArchiCAD 17, but isn't really documented... you can insert Hotlinks directly from the same Source file in Teamwork without having to publish MOD files. It creates a circular link where you can Hotlink a single story of your file to the BIM Server, Send & Receive changes, and then update the Hotlink Manager. No MOD files. This provides a few advantages:

1. You can skip the step of Publishing the Modules every time,
2. Avoid creation and maintenance of the Publisher Set,
3. Make all of the Hotlinks available to Teamwork users working remotely, without access to a hard drive or file server,
4. There are no MOD files that could accidentally get edited and overwritten.

But there should be a better way. See also This wish list item.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Chuck,

This is an interesting use of Hotlinks and Teamwork. Never thought of it before.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Would that work with a 'solo' project and can you hotlink a story range like you can with .mod files?

I've been setting up 'module workplaces' in my models, where I just add extra stories for hotlinked elements in one file, besides your point about attributes, I find that running several instances of ArchiCAD to work on several modules along with the 'main' model takes up a lot of memory. I am using the method with publisher. It is quite fast, but the refreshing of modules after publishing does take time.

Another benefit of having the workplaces is using trace and reference to edit the module in relation to the rest of model.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Actually it does seem to work.
I have only tried it with a single story Hotlink.
I created Story -1 and created a geometry there.
Then in the same file I placed Story -1 as a Hotlinked Module. And it seems to work.
The one limitation I see now is that you have to create each hotlinked module on a separate Story.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
It sounds very interesting!

I just hope I don't create a time paradox selflinked files, sounds scary! Haha!

Out of interest, do other people prefer to create extra stories below or above the model? I've been using the method of having them 50 meters apart in themed groups above my model. A set of stories for 'mirrored' hotlinking, a group of stories for room plans, a group of stories for different bathroom layouts, a group of stories for modelled dormer window solutions, etc

Is there a downside to linking the .pln with loss of layer control? I am using layercombinations for publishing modules to make sure I don't end up with duplicated grid objects, sectionmarkers etc.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
It wouldn't be as much a time paradox as a spacial anomaly. Nothing that nonlinear TransWarp physics can't fix.

We prefer the underground Stories just because it's much more likely that we'll need to add above-ground Stories as part of the building design. And it's more intuitive to ignore things that are buried underground.

As far as Layer control, I worry about that on the receiving end. Export the Modules from the Source with all layers turned on (this is partially why it's best to give each unit it's own Story). Then, when you import them in the Host, you can adjust layer combinations to show floor, ceiling, finish, furniture plan, etc. with only one Module. It's important that the layers are exactly the same in the Source and Host. It's also good not to leave a bunch of sketch junk all over your Source Stories. It's not worth overthinking the Publisher Sets.

Also, beware nested elements. Sometimes, they are necessary. However, they can also be a pain. If nested Modules had different Master Layers in their Source files, when they are imported into the Host, they will all fall under one Master Layer, and you can't turn them on/off separately.

It takes careful management of a project working like this. Don't let the newbies go wild with Hotlinking. I have a hospital and an apartment complex in the last month that are virtually inaccessible because there are too many elements showing at once that kill the computer. It's taken some long evenings to fix them.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
davidstonearchicad21
Contributor
LaszloNagy wrote:
Actually it does seem to work.
I have only tried it with a single story Hotlink.
I created Story -1 and created a geometry there.
Then in the same file I placed Story -1 as a Hotlinked Module. And it seems to work.
The one limitation I see now is that you have to create each hotlinked module on a separate Story.
Can you tell me the step by step of how to place an underground story as a module. I'm at a loss! Can't get my head around not using a .mod

Or better yet, could you explain how to get hotlink modules accessible from a remote office in a TW project?

When I attempt to place a module from a teamwork file, it inserts the ENTIRE 2.6Gb hotel into where the room once was funny, but frustration as we have a few people that need access to the hotlinks module files at once. So far I have set up mapped network drives that all point at one PC on the local network at one of the offices. Would i need a VPN to link both offices so that we can access the .mod modules from both locations using Teamwork ?

I've read literally all the documentation on this and it would seem that it should just work
AC24

2 x Xeon E5-2667 v2 (16c/32t @ 3.3-4.0 GHz)

64Gb RAM(ECC) Quad channel 1333Ghz (next upgrade 1866Ghz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb

500Gb 840PRO SSD, 3 TB HDD (next upgrade PCIe NVMe SSD)
Barry Kelly
davidstonearchicad21 wrote:
Can you tell me the step by step of how to place an underground story as a module. I'm at a loss! Can't get my head around not using a .mod
Model what you want in the underground storey and save the file.
Now move up to the storey where you want the module.
Go through the menus to place a module and browse for this saved file.
Choose 'single storey' and then select the underground storey you want and add it.

Now when ever you modify the underground storey, just save the file and update hotlinks.

Sorry I know very little about using teamwork.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11