BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IES toolkits for building analysis

Graham Whipple
Enthusiast
I am curious whether anyone has used the IES toolkits for analysis of daylighting, energy performance, etc specifically those directly related to the LEED rating system.
The software claims to be easily compatible with ArchiCAD, and it appears that there are some tools that are included in the toolkits which seem to be lacking in EcoDesigner.
I should indicate that we don't have EcoDesigner in our office, but after a trial to test functionality, it seemed that the output wasn't really measured against any industry benchmarks.

We are looking for good tools that will provide early analysis of design options, but also providing good concrete measurement against standards like ASHRAE or automated calculations for Daylighting percentages. Does EcoDesigner actually do this? Or returning to my original question has anyone used the IES toolkits and could share thoughts & impressions about the functionality?

FYI here is a link. The toolkits are on sale for a few more days.

www.iesve.com/Software/VE-Toolkits

Graham
Graham Whipple
Resin Architecture

Idaho USA
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also need to have a better look at this. The good thing about IES is that it can do the UK's 'Part L' - which every building must go through to varying degrees - as well as LEED. I actually have Ecodesigner but it is more like an early-stage 'qualitative' design tool, at least that is how I view it - and I am happy to keep using it that way. Apparently it can export out to VIP-Energy but I have not looked further into this at all.
If I am not mistaken Ecotect does not 'do' LEED - but it seems such a natural thing that I'm sure it will appear at some point.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have much to offer towards the OP comment, but I too am looking into similar issues. I am looking for a program compatible with ArchiCAD that is able to work for a LEED requirement.. more specifically the EAc1 which allows for a potential 21 points if you show your energy savings of anything above 10%.

Right now it actually looks as if EcoDesigner will be able to be used for it.. but I'm not entirely sure how the program functions yet and/or if its capabilities match those needed to earn points within the EAc1 Core and Shell.
Anonymous
Not applicable
allegronea, have you found out anything about Ecodesigner being LEED worthy.
Much appreciated!
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Graham wrote:
The software claims to be easily compatible with ArchiCAD...
For anyone wanting to transfer their BIM project to IES, DesignBuilder, and other building analysis tools, use Encina's gbXML Export add-on. gbXML is pretty much a standard for building analysis data now.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Miklos Sved
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Graham,

Please let me draw your attention to a recording of a presentation about EcoDesigner result accuracy. The movie is available for download, here:

https://webftp.graphisoft.com/reupload.html?code=EVPBDE1292405432

EcoDesigner - like all energy tools - is not easy to use on a professional level, but it is the most accurate BIM based single zone energy analysis tool in the world.

Please contact me on the
msved@graphisoft.com
address for further info on EcoDesigner with respect to ASHRAE and LEED.

Best regards,

Graham wrote:
I am curious whether anyone has used the IES toolkits for analysis of daylighting, energy performance, etc specifically those directly related to the LEED rating system.
The software claims to be easily compatible with ArchiCAD, and it appears that there are some tools that are included in the toolkits which seem to be lacking in EcoDesigner.
I should indicate that we don't have EcoDesigner in our office, but after a trial to test functionality, it seemed that the output wasn't really measured against any industry benchmarks.

We are looking for good tools that will provide early analysis of design options, but also providing good concrete measurement against standards like ASHRAE or automated calculations for Daylighting percentages. Does EcoDesigner actually do this? Or returning to my original question has anyone used the IES toolkits and could share thoughts & impressions about the functionality?

FYI here is a link. The toolkits are on sale for a few more days.

www.iesve.com/Software/VE-Toolkits

Graham
Miklos Sved
Graphisoft Product Manager
Learn and get certified!