Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Layers, layers, layers...managing, layer pallete?

Gravis3D
Contributor

Hello Guys, I recently started to work in Archicad for my new employer. Worked in Vectorworks, Bricscad, Revit, Blender etc. before. I tried Archicad back in the school days, like 10 years ago and my biggest issue was the lack of pallete with layers and layers management...sadly, it is still very cumbersome.

Am I the only one, who would like to have layers opened all the time in the pallete (same as navigator etc.)?

Why there has to be dialog to pop-up, change something in layers or layer state and confirm. Just let that dialog be opened on second monitor maybe or add as pallete to be openened like navigator pleeeease...

Is there any relevant reason why it is not possible?

Another thing which is really annoying is the layers "connections" numbers. Logical would be to select multiple layer states and change the layer number for all of them at once, not change the number for specific layer for every layer states saved.

I make new layer, name it. Then close the layers dialog and have to go to attribute manager to change the layers number for 20 layer states (or chang the number 20 times in layers dialog...OMG)

I know it can be done in atribute manager this.So why the hell it is not possible in the layers dialog which in my opinions should do these essential editing to speed up  proccess. 

Do not get me wrong, I can deal with this, but I simply dont get it. Why it could not be easier to deal with something so important like layers. Managing layers and turning them ON/OFF is so essential and so common task, that I feel it is the one of the most slow-down in whole Archicad workflow.

Archicad is really great and have very strong sides in my opinion. But this essential things with layers is getting me frustrated all the time.

Hope for the better future in this part - then Archicad would be TOP BIM solution...

Or do I miss something in the workflow...Would like to know from the "Archicad PRO guys" 😉

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Typically you would set all of this up in a robust template and hardly ever look back. If you find yourself constantly adding layers, the template is not functional and / or doesn't follow a logical standard. Sit down, analyse the current template you are using to pin point which layers are missing, add them all, fix things in the attribute manager en masse and you should be good for projects moving forward. Layers are just one part of a good template. If you have to add attributes (surfaces, fills, layers, building materials) all the time, you should expand the template. Add them once and then have the benefit for every new project.

Make sure you have logical layer combinations and you can switch between this on the fly in the quick options palette (should be available at the bottom of your workspace too).

There is also the quick layers palette which allows you to quickly hide layers based on what you have selected. It has  'undo' buttons which return you to previous state of layers.

I hardly ever have to open the layer manager for anything.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Typically you would set all of this up in a robust template and hardly ever look back. If you find yourself constantly adding layers, the template is not functional and / or doesn't follow a logical standard. Sit down, analyse the current template you are using to pin point which layers are missing, add them all, fix things in the attribute manager en masse and you should be good for projects moving forward. Layers are just one part of a good template. If you have to add attributes (surfaces, fills, layers, building materials) all the time, you should expand the template. Add them once and then have the benefit for every new project.

Make sure you have logical layer combinations and you can switch between this on the fly in the quick options palette (should be available at the bottom of your workspace too).

There is also the quick layers palette which allows you to quickly hide layers based on what you have selected. It has  'undo' buttons which return you to previous state of layers.

I hardly ever have to open the layer manager for anything.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly

And version 25 will allow you to adjust multiple layer combinations at the same time in the layer settings.

No need to go to Attribute Manager now.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Okay, I get it. We have template, but not as good as it should be. I also use quick layers pallete which is pretty useful in some cases.

So maybe we have to focus on better template and experience will get better over time....Thanks for tips

Good to know this...not yet on the 25 version, but hope for that soon 🙂

Regards

Depending on your national standars, you might get by with a global set up like this:

• layers for 'markers' (section, elevation, detail); I can recommend a layer for 'hidden' section markers for temporary sections you don't wish to see on the floor plan
  • layers for modules (master layer)
  • layers for solid element operators; it is good to have one that intersect with your most common elements (1) and one that has a number nothing else uses so it doesn't intersect
  • layers for added 2D information (fills, polylines); handy to split these into scale / level of detail
  • layers for annotation (text, dimension); again multiple for scale / level of detail
  • modelling layers; you would typically have some standard for these
  • layers for 2D and 3D visualisation elements that you don't want to see in the 'technical' output
  • layers for different types of zones

If you are going to be having 'proper' BIM projects where you need to exchange things with 3rd parties, try to look up the accepted standard and name your modelling layers accordingly.

I would not use the Archicad layer for anything outside things placed on a layout, since you can't hide it.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

I have to say that, even though this is the 'Accepted Solution', it's not a great solution for any moderately complex project.

Whether it's managing options, dealing with unique design elements, unique geometry, managing views that Archicad is bad at handling (reflected ceiling plans!), or management of different stages or 'ownership' of objects...a template can rarely predict every need.

We have over 200 layers in our template to deal with the basic 'large' project requirements. There are always more that need to be created specific to a project. And the layer palette does make this exceptionally difficult and time-consuming to deal with.

As @Gravis3D mentioned, something as simple as being able to turn layers on-and-off 'in real time' would be a godsend. The fact that the Quick Layers palette even exists demonstrates this is a real need.

24 / 25 Win10 & Win11 & OSX

Exactly my thoughts man 😉

Ltlmonstr
Newcomer

I agree. It's frustrating to constantly be opening and closing the layers dialog box. Especially when you are working on making new templates. 

It should be a palette that we can have open to the side. 

Y'all are doing something wrong then, I rarely every need to turn layers on or off, I have over 200 as well.  I maybe add a layer 2 to 4 times a year to go with my template mods. Archicad views and layer combos are more than sufficient.

I do say that when I switched to Archicad I felt as you all do, but you just have to let go and realize there are better ways to manage than just layers. 

Also options are simple for Archicad without extra layers. You just have to set things up right.