Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MEP elements in Revit

aroesti
Participant

Hi,

I'm looking for a translation setting to get the pipe/duct as native elements in Revit by using the "Improved IFC Import" plug in.

not able to change length and type

aroesti_0-1670448195816.png

4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I think you may have unrealistic expectations of IFC exchange. From what you write it seems to me that you expect that an MEP element is exported from Archicad and its should be imported into Revit as the same MEP element types, with all its parameters transferred and working properly.

This is unfortunately not a realistic scenario.

Geometry transferred from one BIM application to another using IFC is mostly recommended to be used as reference geometry based on which users can model their own geometries in their own software. BIM software are so different internally, one from another, that it is practically impossible to transfer the same parametric behavior between them, this is why IFC exchange is mostly for reference geometry.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thnaks for response @Laszlo Nagy  

I'm talking specifically about duct, pipe and cable trays which are system family with proper clear definition. I'm not talking about special Archicad/Revit properties. i expect from the global properties (length, diameter, width, height) to be shared in a way that would be easy to translate them on another BIM software. 

(anyway, maybe its only my BIM utopic vision) 

for example, i found a specific setting to export walls and floor the be a regular element family.

Hallo!

have you found anything to convert IFC ducts and pipes to native revit families?

I tried  add-ins "MEP Hangers" (it has convert option ), but it gives to me error for "MagiCAD for AutoCAD"  IFC export

AlexF_0-1705773224064.png