Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

OBJ Import?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to import some .OBJ models into ArchiCAD. Is there a way to do it and get a smooth and clean looking GDL Object with discrete materials? I don't care so much about the 2d symbol, this is for using better furniture that what passes (barley) for furniture in the ArchiCAD library.
13 REPLIES 13
Chazz
Enthusiast
For the vast majority of 3d File formats, it is simply not possible with ArchiCAD alone to bring in alien models -OBJ included. As you will see elsewhere when you search there is an unsupported goodie (download under help) that can do a poor job of bringing in 3DS stuff and out of the box you can import 3d DWG but that's it.

This is something I wish for all the time. However, at this time, other, intermediate tools (Cinema 4d?, I have no idea), will be required.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Chazz. I have used the 3ds plug in many times and it sucks. This is why I would prefer to find another means of exchanging model files. GS does not seem to care that there are thousands of high quality 3D furnishings fixtures and other 3d content that could be imported into ArchiCAD. (IE www.evermotion.org ) This is a common feature in all other modeling programs. The GS library is practically useless for presenting interior renderings. Even If they could pull it's library out of the stone age, we still should have an open door for standard 3D formats.
Jussi_
Booster
Older ArchiCADs have been able to import obj files (since ArchiCAD 3 I believe). At the moment I have on my Mac ArchiCAD 7 which can open .obj files. Don't have 8 or 9 installed to tell you when obj import was dropped, but new ones don't have the feature.

Select "open object" and file type Wavefront. Resulting GDL object has materials which 3DS import loses!

ArchiCAD protection key can run older versions, ask your dealer for old installation CD (or DVD).
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use my old version 6.5 for that:

ctrl+shift+O to open special files and select OBJ format.

Save the object imported, and open it as Object from your library in your newer archiCAD... No clue why we can't do that now (glad I hold my old version)...

A longer way (if you don't have a 3 to 7 version archicad copy) is exporting the object to DAE format from 3rd party softwares (like lightwave or 3d studio), and open it in Google Sketchup free version, then download it to your archicad using the new add-on at:

http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/addons/google_earth/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Daniel wrote:
Thanks Chazz. I have used the 3ds plug in many times and it sucks.
I have used 3DS with good results. But then I'm not doing high zoot interior stuff. But then I wouldn't do that in ArchiCAD anyway.

I assume you've looked at the various furniture libraries in native format in the depository and elsewhere. There are quite a few and they look to be quite good. I have only used the ForaForm stuff myself which works well. Most of it seems to be quite modern so if you're looking for traditional furniture that's probably harder.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Any hope that Graphisoft will look at that import option again !
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Jussi_
Booster
http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

Local language ArchiCAD versions can be downloaded from local Graphisoft partners. Just download ArchiCAD 7, it does work with wibu key for sure.
Follow instructions how to use obj and 3ds files told here earlier.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Thanks jussi_ I've read your previous answer about this topic and I'm happy that this workaround exists,

That said, Why Shouldn't GS keep a practical feature(s) that existed in previous versions instead of looking in which version that feature or another has existed.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought I would get back to this topic as it was recently necessary for me to have better objects for use in my project inside ArchiCAD. There is now a VERY nice solution to importing textured objects in several formats including OBJ, FBX (Autodesk), 3DS (who really see this anymore), and DAE ( or Collada newer Sketchup friendly format)

While the new native SketchUp import is great, there are TONS of highly detailed objects offered by equipment and furniture vendors around the world and now you can convert them to friendly ArchiCAD objects with great 2d symbols and smooth, accurately textured 3d surfaces. This really solves a lot of aggravation I have harbored for the native archiCAD library. Objects just look clunky. I no longer have to model lamp fixtures or other items that have an OBJ file out there.

The Add-on pays for itself if you consider the amount of time you spend trying to build a single custom object.

Try the demo version:

http://www.day8design.hu/modelport/