BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

OLD PMK files

Anonymous
Not applicable
Last week I was asked if I could help transfer some ArchiCAD files into AutoCAD and said, "Of course!" As it turns out the files are ALL PMK files and are all off a back-up disk that was dates 2001.

I've tried opening them in v19, v16, v15, v12, and v10 all of which I either have on my current computer or an older one and v10 is as far back as I can go without loading some old software on an old PC that I still have. I am now a MAC user but back in the day when these files were likely created I was a PC user, so going back in time is proving to be problematic.

I've searched this site without success looking for some clues. Is there a utility out there that I can use to make these files usable? Is there some other process? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

TIM
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
opart wrote:
7.0 went on without a hitch. I stopped using a hardware key last year and as expected ArchiCAD would not start, however plot maker was a different story.
PlotMaker always ran without a key. I think if you download the Windows version of the AC 7 "converter" package from the bottom of the page here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

that you will find that THAT version of AC 7 will launch for you. You can then load the US libraries from your current installation.

It's not surprising that you had poor results exporting to DWG from an old version of AC. Many improvements to translation have been made over the years. So, Eduardo's approach is what I was incoherently recommending - bringing the PMK up to at least version 3.1 so that AC 19 or 20 could place it on a layout and export from there.

Glad you got somewhere, and shared what method got you there... and for Eduardo and Aaron to join us in the pain Graphisoft created by not recognizing older PMK files. Seems that if we can open/convert old PLN files, then PMK files from the same old versions should also work.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
I just created a wish for a PMK converter here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=53345

One of those wishes that isn't important until you need it.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Learn and get certified!