Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Rhino file as an auto updating "block" inside ARCHICAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way of importing a rhino file inside ARCHICAD and having it to update automatically whenever the original Rhino file is overwritten.
I know about the live link with Grashopper but I tried an unfortunately this only seemed to work with Grashopper projects, not with Rhino projects.

Does anybody know a way to achieve this?

Best regards,
Vincent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Emre Senoglu
Expert
Hey Vincent, you can actually place Rhino objects as hotlinks inside Archicad and they will update. I haven't been able to get the materials to work properly though, so it isn't very functional in my opinion.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't know of any solution to this.
The "File > Libraries and Objects > Import Rhino 3DM File as Object" menu command file imports the Rhino file and converts it to a GDL Object, which you can then place with the Object Tool. However, this is not something that will update automatically. If the Rhino File changes, you would have to run the command again to convert it again, possibly overwriting the already existing GDL Object, thereby updating its content.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
strangeday
Booster
Hi,
would be helpfull to know, which kind of content you need to import into AC(mass volume, object...and so on) from Rhino.
JDSV wrote:

I know about the live link with Grashopper but I tried an unfortunately this only seemed to work with Grashopper projects, not with Rhino projects.
What you say is true, anyway baking the geometry inside Grasshopper could easily give you the needed mesh, that could be imported into AC as morph, or at least as object.
AC 6.5-26 | Latest build | Win 10 Pro 64 | AMD TreadRipper 1950x 3.4 Ghz | 64 Gb RAM | AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB
Solution
Emre Senoglu
Expert
Hey Vincent, you can actually place Rhino objects as hotlinks inside Archicad and they will update. I haven't been able to get the materials to work properly though, so it isn't very functional in my opinion.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk