Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Snow Leopard

Erika Epstein
Booster
Just received notification that Snow Leopard is out on Friday.

This will be my first mac OS upgrade and I am wondering what is involved? Do I order it, or wait a month or more? Any tips?

Will I have to upgrade other software?
Go ahead, laugh at the newbie to mac
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
100 REPLIES 100
Rakela Raul
Participant
please stop !!!

it was scary enough when i burned the image !!

thx alot
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
ejrolon wrote:
The nice thing about a clone with a previous system is that you can choose from which installation to boot from. Even with the point updates I always clone my HD before updating just in case.
The advantages of using Time Machine (built into Leopard) are:
  • 1) It's really easy to use - switch it on and it 'just works'.
    2) It provides constant backups of your work, every hour, all day, every day. It also keeps different versions, so you can revert to an earlier version of a document modified multiple times (and step through all the versions to select the one you want).
    3) You can easily restore a single file, an older version of a file, or the entire drive contents. In many cases it works interactively with other applications, e.g. Address Book, so you can search for and preview older data before restoring it.
Just boot from the original installation DVD to restore the drive if the original is no longer bootable. Most (all?) other backup solutions require far more work and aren't nearly intuitive, which often means users fail to implement it or don't use it frequently enough. I highly recommend Time Machine to avoid these problems.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Eduardo Rolon
Ralph,

I use both, Time Machine for constant backups + version control and Superduper once a week to clone the HD.

The reason is that if my principal HD (the one that has the applications and OS) crashes I can boot up from the clone and finish what I am doing without having to wait for TM to restore my HD, this can save a lot of time.

This also means that 3 HD have to fail in order for me to loose data.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
ejrolon wrote:
I use both, Time Machine for constant backups + version control and Superduper once a week to clone the HD.
That's definitely best practice (if you add off-site copies to prevent total loss in the event of a serious fire). My comments were aimed more at people who aren't backing up regularly. There are many who just haven't got around to it simply because it seems too daunting, and Time Machine is a perfect way for them to start.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Rakela Raul
Participant
There are many who just haven't got around to it simply because it seems too daunting,
hey !!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any experience on Snow Leopard with AC 12?
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Should be faster - I'll check it tommorrow after purchase 🙂
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rafal wrote:
Should be faster - I'll check it tommorrow after purchase 🙂
Please let us know!
Big spread on Snow Leopard at MacWorld this morning: http://www.macworld.com/article/142459/2009/08/snow_leopard.html?lsrc=twt_jsnell

Will GS Technical Team offer a comment on how OpenCL and Grand Central - two key pieces of under-the-hood technology in Snow Leopard - will effect speed in the current version of ArchiCAD and what the impact of its implementation in future versions of ArchiCAD will be. In theory, this should be HUGE!
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope that it will work as a charm... logically it should!

But anyhow, i suspect that in about 2-3 month we'll hear of the new version ArchiCAD 13, and of course we'll have no doubts about AC in SL.