Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

What is happening with Cadimage Tools?

I get the sense that Cadimage is moribund. Although there have been a few updates over the past couple of years, all of the documentation and videos date from v19 or before, and haven't been updated in years. (So in many cases, what is shown on the videos or in screenshots doesn't exactly match the current software.) Cadimage support tells me that they are giving up on their stair tool, which I liked because it was fairly simple to use, and are now encouraging me to use the GS stairs instead. There used to be an active public support forum. There used to be an almost daily "tip of the day." Since Central Innovation took it over, it seems development has pretty much stopped and it has gone from being a vibrant force to what now seems to be a neglected stepchild.

I am hoping that someone closer to the other side of the world knows what is going on. Should I be trying to wean myself off of these tools in anticipation of the inevitable?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
30 REPLIES 30
gavinNZz
Advocate

I'm sorry to hear we've let you down on this bug. Clearly we've slipped up somewhere because there is only one outstanding Keynotes bug currently on our bug-tracking system and we're actively working with affected customers to find a way to reproduce it. It would appear this issue has not been logged.

Can you please contact our support team and raise this issue? Also, please refer them to your previous conversation so we can work out how this was overlooked. This is something we take seriously - we've addressed nearly 50 feature requests and bugs in Keynotes since the AC21 release.

Thanks for the reply Ralph. Unfortunately its now at the point where I don't bother mentioning some of these bugs and just create workarounds. Its just quicker that way and don't have the time to explain the issue over and over again.

I would suggest setting up a workshop where we can talk directly to the developers about how we actually use the cadimage tools in a drafting office. Face to face discussion is always more productive and gives us the user a feeling of being valued in the development process. Getting a generic e-mail from the support system saying that the bug or suggestion has been added to the development schedule is like a slap in the face!

for example - Door and window builder.....put a hotspot in the 2D and 3D views that allows me to define the opening angle of the door/window graphically. Having to open the selection settings and type in an angle is about 5 actions more than it needs to be.

Just make that small change and release it. This will give users the feeling that you are engaging with them. I don't care about bug fixes, sure they are needed because a mistake was made in the development process, I just want to see feature updates however big or small.

The recent change to a fixed margin opening for sliders is a pain in the butt. Why was it changed from the % margin it has always been? If I had been asked as a user I would have said that its a bad idea and to give us the option to choose how we want to define the opening margin. I would have also mentioned the hotspot idea.

Also, in Virtual reality the profile of the door and window object makes it one of the most unrealistic looking items in our models. Maybe create the ablilty to allow custom profiles to be used for the frames so we can create true to life joinery items.

Don't get me wrong I like the Door and Window object and use it religiously, but that doesn't automatically mean it is as good as it could be, You have the market cornered in this area, don't loose it by sitting on the fence and not pushing forward with meaningful development.

Thanks for your time on this.
Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
KeesW
Advocate
GavinNZ
Where is the plumbing object you refer to?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Brett Brown
Advocate
Thanks for the reply Ralph. Unfortunately its now at the point where I don't bother mentioning some of these bugs and just create workarounds. Its just quicker that way and don't have the time to explain the issue over and over again.

Just make that small change and release it.
My thoughts exactly. Why is it that we have to keep asking why the confirmed bug has not been fixed?

If as Ralph says that all these bugs and enhancements have been done, why hasn't that been conveyed to users somehow?

I have asked 2 consecutive Sales Managers at Central Innovation the same question about Cadimage Tools at upgrade time since 2016 and both have said nothing has changed, and the Tools have just been made to work with the new Version. As I have never received any Newsletter relating to Cadimage Tools for V21 and 22, I assume that as they haven't any new enhancements there seems to be no point in upgrading?

Lets hope that this thread stirs Central Innovation into drastically improving customer communication.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
gavinNZz
Advocate
KeesW wrote:
GavinNZ
Where is the plumbing object you refer to?
It is one of the objects available to us within our cadimage subscription. See attached image.

Here is a link to an example of this object in use

https://www.kubity.com/p/qbpVNx

Not sure if they sell this as a stand alone object. There is no add-on that is attached to it
Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
Barry Kelly
gavinNZz wrote:
Not sure if they sell this as a stand alone object. There is no add-on that is attached to it
It is part of the Ci Esential Library available to AUS (and I assume NZ) users.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Three and a half months later, I have seen NOTHING in the way of improved documentation or videos. Come on, guys, just take an afternoon and produce a few videos! I don't use Objective very often, but I had occasion to need the slab edge tool for AC22. There was no explanatory diagram in the main dialogue box showing what each parameter referred to (A=; B=; etc.), and it turned out that there was no diagram for ANY of the Objective Tools. I found an earlier version of Objective.lcf and replaced the latest update of Objective.lcf, and it is all working fine now. But really.... Doesn't Cadimage or Central Innovation even TRY basic functioning before they let an update out? This is pretty sad.
Richard
Nuge
Advocate
Richard,

Don't hold your breath!!!! Central innovation has purchased the Cadimage tools and just sat on them doing no development work other than for new AC versions, they have not released any new products or indicated any existing product enhancements (i would be happy if the existing tools were just bug free)

I would very much love someone to launch a suite of competing add on's that were regularly updated base on customer feedback, and were engaged with the community. they would have my money for sure
AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
Well, I should say that Josh Osborne stepped in and quickly got me a patched Objective.lcf file, and everything is working now. Felt almost like the "good old days."
Richard
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Nuge wrote:
Central innovation has purchased the Cadimage tools and just sat on them doing no development work other than for new AC versions, they have not released any new products or indicated any existing product enhancements (i would be happy if the existing tools were just bug free)
There have been approximately 600 new features and bug fixes to the Cadimage Tools since Ci took the reins. The changes and fixes for each release can be reviewed in the Cadimage Installer. We're working on the basis of constant improvement throughout the year rather than just waiting for new AC versions. As Josh noted, these changes haven't been communicated effectively – but they are happening just as they always have.

We also have 3 new products, a major change to an existing tool and significant library changes in the pipeline for release with AC23. A small group of users is reviewing beta versions now. It has taken nearly 2 years of customers consultation, design proposals, specification and development to arrive at the point.

While some communication and marketing has slipped, development is proceeding at a significant pace.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Ralph,
I'm not trying to be confrontational here, but according to the Installer, since AC22 was released, there were 29 bugs fixed for the Door & Window tool, but only ONE bug fixed (Coverings) for all of the other tools combined and support for Masterspec added for Keynotes. This does not exactly feel like "constant improvement" across the board. I'm glad that you all are busy working on the future, but the rest of us need to work in the present.
Richard