Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ac 15 and revit 2011

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all I really like archicad but every time see some Image of revit 2011 ask my self if that time to move to revit I hope that not come ever .but ac 14 shock me I hope AC 15 have free model ,spilt face ,good sun study ,good stair maker,new interface,pattern ,sweep,smooth roof , and more.
every time I hear some move to revit and never hear some one move form revit to AC I hope hear that
thank you.

curtsysbyface.png
91 REPLIES 91
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I have used both quite intensively and still find ArchiCAD substantially better.
I would love to hear an unbiased assessment of Revit vs ArchiCAD from you.
And I mean a real one, not one of those "both softwares have their strengths and weaknesses" politically correct one.

I realize that eventually bad mouthing Revit could compromise you, so it is understandable that you would not like to put yourself in that position, but as an ArchiCAD user in an ever-growing Revit world I would find it invaluable to have access to a real comparison, not the same old junk thrown at us by software manufacturers and resellers.
I am happy to be honest in my assessment. I don't think I'll get in big trouble with Autodesk for saying I still find ArchiCAD is better than Revit. I don't have time to go into much detail right now. (Perhaps I should start my own blog on the subject.)

In general Revit's strengths are at the front end of the design process where the automatic functions are an aid to getting something together quickly. It is also appealing to new users and new architects/interns for the same reasons. Where I find Revit frustrating is when those automatic functions and relationships start making it difficult to get it to do what I want it to instead of what it thinks is best. The worse cases of this have been when things I have placed spontaneously change to the Revit preferred arrangements after the fact (I have since learned to anticipate this and avoid it in most cases).

Though ArchiCAD lacks many of the relationships found in Revit it s still very fast and facile for the initial design and editing. For me it is better than Revit in this regard because I know very clearly what I want and can set up the relationships myself without struggling with or overriding Revit's preferences. For construction coordination models ArchiCAD's obedient behavior makes it much preferable to Revit.

As I have said before ArchiCAD's selection tools beat everything else all hollow. The only thing I've found that comes close is Tekla (it has many of the functions but they are a bit click heavy compared to ArchiCAD). ArchiCAD's facility for quick adjustment and editing (ie pet palette etc.) is also way better than Revit's sketch mode.

There is much more that I could say but that will have to do for now.

My best summary description is that working with ArchiCAD is like a dance. With Revit it is more like wrestling.
Rakela Raul
Participant
I would love to hear an unbiased assessment of Revit vs ArchiCAD from you.
And I mean a real one, not one of those "both softwares have their strengths and weaknesses" politically correct one.
me too, i meant from anyone. and even better: from a former AC user, like Tom Walter !!

I have been practicing revit for about a month now and of course not too conversant yet, but quite comfortable.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Karl Ottenstein
Rakela wrote:
me too, i meant from anyone. and even better: from a former AC user, like Tom Walter !!
I think you meant Tom Waltz? He is working at Bentley with Microstation these days I believe...

But, I think Ransom Ratcliff, an old ArchiCAD expert, is in the Revit trenches now?

I agree... hearing from an strong AC convert would be very valuable.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
My best summary description is that working with ArchiCAD is like a dance. With Revit it is more like wrestling.
Thats as good as I could hope for. Thanks
Rakela Raul
Participant
You are rt, Karl !! I meant Tom Waltz
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure of any cases of a skilled ArchiCAD user making the switch voluntarily and/or preferring Revit, though To Waltz may be an exception (Tom are you still here?). He was a very advanced ArchiCAD user (check his post count here on the forum) and I think he may have switched altogether to Revit.

By in large it seems that anyone who masters one is reluctant to switch to the other.

I have used both quite intensively and still find ArchiCAD substantially better.

I think you meant Tom Waltz? He is working at Bentley with Microstation these days I believe...

But, I think Ransom Ratcliff, an old ArchiCAD expert, is in the Revit trenches now?

I agree... hearing from an strong AC convert would be very valuable.

I think GS know that and we will wait AC 15
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You guys and your post counts! Like more is always better!

Tom was a great ArchiCAD user though and now he is working ~for~ Bentley as a Microstation product designer.

And last time I spoke to Ransom he said something along the lines of 'using the latest version of Revit felt like using ArchiCAD 7'! Ha! Still makes me laugh! I haven't 'diluted my BIM experience' by investing in Revit yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if some EX-AutoCAD Reviteers discovered an ArchiCAD 7 equivalent and thought they'd found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Cheers,
Link.

PS. Don't flame me - I'm just being jovial (and perhaps proving how a post count is not always a reflection of one's ArchiCAD expertise!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
PS. Don't flame me - I'm just being jovial (and perhaps proving how a post count is not always a reflection of one's ArchiCAD expertise!)
I would be a good example of that (I just spend too much time here)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ha! That just shows how passionate you are about ArchiCAD right Stuart? At least you post good advice.

What's needed is a rating system if we are to get a real idea of expertise. I worked with a receptionist once who talked a LOT. Didn't make her an expert receptionist (trust me!). Besides some of us could about double our post count just by saying 'you're welcome!'.

So at risk of being guilty of inflating my post count, I better get to work and let the discussion get back on track!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Putting Auto Pilot on has its advantages but you get more freedom when its off.

Maybe the best program will have an Auto Pilot mode for non free form design as they require less manipulation.

Then Auto Pilot off for free form modeling.

I came from Chief Architect and still use it for simple houses but when I get more customization in a design I start wrestling with Chief so I use ArchiCAD instead.

Chief is faster for simple houses but its a fight when houses start having commercial features and accuracy drops off.

But it appears here that so far Revit maybe better for free form but does not have the design flexability of tools for manipulating a free form model like AC has.

If in AC15 free from modeling is the focus of AC15, this could out srtip Revit becuse of its manipulation tools and no doubt GS will add more tools to get the job done right.

One must not forget the use of maxform add on for AC as well since this creates the free form model as I am told, with AC 14 tools is this really superior to Revit 2011?

I would hope so.

If you are in the know please tell us what you think.