Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

archicad import into Sketchup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
I have an issue. I am trying to import an Archicad file into Sketchup. I firstly tried to export it via AutoCAD, but surfaces look really bad, once in Sketchup. Later I read and installed the plug-in, but I still cannot save as .skp. The plug-in I downloaded from here: http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/google_earth/ge_earth_connections_download.html
Does anybody have any idea how I can solve this?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
- From the 3D window use Save as a 3DS.
Check Save by Materials as an option.

- In SU when importing check the options for 3DS and select merge coplanar faces.

-----
If the model is too big you can export from AC smaller pieces of the model and as long as you don't move the model in SU they will import in the correct place.

BTW why are you importing to SU, there is not much you can do in SU that you can't do in AC and AC is more efficient with big models.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
Thank you for the answer. I tried it, but once imported into SU, I cannot see anything of the model. It is a house, it is not that big. I don't know what's the problem.
The reason I am doing this is because I like the styles of Sketchup and I wanted to present my model using those.
Eduardo Rolon
For the missing model the answer might be a units problem with the result that the model is too small for the camera to see. Another option might be that you have exported items that might be a large distance apart which if you do a zoom extents in Sketchup it will not show since you would be looking at the model from too far away.
Solution to both is to in AC go to 3D Window select one or two items and do a "show selection/marquee in... " export that selection and import in SU to see if it comes in. Also check that the units in both SU and in AC match.

On another note why don't you use the Sketch render in AC it can be configured to match the Styles in SU?
Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 4.17.43 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
The units were the problem indeed. Thank you