Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

window glazing surface in window schedule....any schedule?

Jefferson
Participant
Our building officials have finally adopted energy standards requiring wall surface vs. glazing surfaces and subsequent percentages. So I am trying in vein to find the path to these answers in AC scheduling and it is completely illuding me.......

Is there a way to get my window glazing surface to appear in my window schedule? I can't even make it come up in the dialog box........!

I could swear I've seen this before. I know how to manually generate this, with area fills etc. & subtraction, but seems that AC knows this information and there is a way, or should be, to generate and display it for me........if only I can figure out how to ask.

And although I want to understand how to create these and manipulate them, I'm not above asking for cheat sheets, as in someone's .xml file of a schedule that already does this, hint.......

Any and all assistance would/will be greatly appreciated........
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
14 REPLIES 14
Here's the little bugger. Depends some on which widow your using.
This is where it's hiding in 14. I am not sure about 12.
total glass area.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
This is where it's hiding in 14.
gs_list_glassarea is a user input parameter, not extracted automatically from the model.

I would also like to be able to list the glass area automatically, if anybody can help us.
Could it be a wall parameter rather than a window parameter?

Like " Analytic surface of wall opeing on the reference line side of the wall"
or similar ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is not the surface of the opening that I need, but of the glass.
Yes. But it may even be a parameter of a zone or something I can't recall.
Were is the definition of Analytic surface vs Conditional surfaces ?
It is going to be in some place we would not normally think of.
There is a window surface in the zone parameters. It does not equate to glass surface, however, check the calculation procedures. The design data for the windows may include the whole window or even a nominal surface area of the window.
The reason the glass area of a window is not so easy to extract is because it would require just a little bit of actual calculation on the part of the program and ArchiCAD sucks at that. Not that it can't handel the gdl scripting, I man that they don't want to put that much into making the parts for us. Changes in stile width, sash, muntin, rail, etc...... are all editable and it would take a little extra work to script the glass area. I don't think they ever put even a little extra work into calculations.

Also, the calculations for a U value would be based on a unit rating.
for example with doors, which might have a lite. I don't know.

You may just have to do it the hard way and use your elevations. Explode a copy, and extract the surface area of the fills for glass.

Since the schedule needs to show that in a percentage of wall surface to glazing, you going to need to get real fancy with the schedule or save as Excel Workbook finish it in Excel and print to .pdf to but back in.

My guess is that the authority having jurisdiction will want you to do the calculations based on the U value of the window applied to the nominal window size. It may depend on if your following Manual J or a prescriptive code.

Here ya go Jeff. I think this is the latest.

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/Documents/2009%20WSEC%20Chapters%201-10.pdf
Per this code, it's actually the rough opening you need to use. See page 27.

"GLAZING AREA: Total area of the glazing measured using the rough opening, and including the glazing, sash and frame. For doors where the daylight opening area is less than 50 percent of the door area, the glazing area is the daylight opening area. For all other doors, the glazing area is the door area."

Jefferson
Participant
Thanks Steve for giving it a go, but already been there......and I guess it's "good to know" I'm not the only one who's trying to find this answer. Although I'll certainly be a lot happier when I do!

edit: I hadn't seen you're last sentence there about rough opening until after I posted..........I'm definetly opting for Perscriptive if at all possible and will follow up on this!

The bitch it seems is that the parameter for glass area, or even perimeter is zero, so that's what you get in a schedule......

I have privately sent out a call for help to a couple of our bigger minded contributors asking for some input here. My fear is this can't be accomplished, or perhaps it's a GDL scripting task, which would understandbly be leaving me in the dust on this one
what you get.png
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Jefferson
Participant
and here's why............AC is telling us that windows have no glazing area. I beleive if this information could be "updated" or calculated it then shows up in the schedule
missing parameters.png
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Jefferson
Participant
So think I found the parameter that will display in a schedule, the full window area, which for now is enough to satisfy me, [I'm running out of steam and need to get back to work!], and hope for more complete and detailed/accurate glazing only information later.
compromise.png
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Jefferson
Participant
I have created this funky little schedule to do calculate areas, then I'll probably export it to Excel and run them, hopefully with an automated formula...

I haven't created or used schedule except for windows and doors. From everything I have on this forum they sound finicky at best, and my experience with doors and windows backs that up. They will do what you want so long as you're spot on with input, but the sheer number of parameters, and therefore opportunuiites to screw it up are anxiety provoking........with trimmed walls, even more I "dunno". I'll know more later I guess.

So, assuming I can trust my input and and AC's output.......a manual proof/check will have to be run a coupe of times before I trust either of us. My ability to input information correctly, and therefore get the accurate return information I'm after is still a question. I have read many a post about schedules giving inaccurate information and this leaves me very uneasy about just going with it.
the math.png
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory