Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD 12 ODBC driver is for 64 bit OS?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Recently I've downloaded ArchiCAD 12 ODBC driver from Graphisoft website. I installed this ODBC driver in a Vista 32 bit machine and can open the connection successfully in a custom windows based application. However, I installed this ODBC in a Vista 64 bit machine and I encountered an error message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified. I checked on the ODBC Data Source Administrator in the 64bit machine I installed. I couldn't find the installed ArchiCAD 12 Project ODBC Driver that I can find in other 32 bit machine. There's no error promted out when I installed this ODBC driver in 64 bit machine. It even gave me a successfully install message. Hence, I'm curious about whether this ODBC driver is suitable for 64 bit machine. I appreciate if any of you can give me some feedback.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also had that problem with windows 7 64 bits, but with revit 😉
The solution is download "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable" at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C06B8369-60DD-4B64-A44B-84B371EDE16D&displa...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, feio49!

I tried the solution you suggested but it's still the same for my case. :cry:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you downloaded the correct file?
There are two: AccessDatabaseEngine.exe and AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe.
I used the second...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I tried the 2nd one also.

"feio49" wrote:
Have you downloaded the correct file?
There are two: AccessDatabaseEngine.exe and AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe.
I used the second...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If you installed the 32bit version of the driver on a 64bit windows machine then you would use the 32bit ODBC Administrator and Driver Manager rather than the default 64bit ODBC Administrator and Driver Manager to access it as detailed in the following Microsoft Support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976

I hope this works for you ...

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
Product Support
OpenLink Software
http://www.openlinksw.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
OpenLink wrote:
Hi

If you installed the 32bit version of the driver on a 64bit windows machine then you would use the 32bit ODBC Administrator and Driver Manager rather than the default 64bit ODBC Administrator and Driver Manager to access it as detailed in the following Microsoft Support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976
Also, an adjustment to the contents of the article seems to be in order: System DSNs are stored in registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WoW6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI

I could not find System DSNs in the location cited in the article.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem. I'm trying to connect Oracle with a database link to the ODBC driver from Archicad 16, and the result is the same; can't find driver manager.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please send us your solution.

Thanks. David.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A critical trick that finally worked for me was to understand that the 64-bit ODBC driver and 64-bit ArchiCAD, had to be installed in the 64-bit MS Office environment with the 64-bit database (in my case, MS SQL2 2008). You probably know this by now.

The other critical trick -- essential under early versions of Win7 and versions of Vista -- was/is to run the ODBC manager directly from the directory in which odbcadnn.exe resides, NOT from the START menu or Programs Menu. I think the 64-bit ODBC driver is in ...\system32, not ...\sysWOW64. It's superficially counter-intuitive. (MS confirmed that the START menu and Programs menu shortcut listings triggered the 32-bit ODBC, not the 64-bit one.)

Back when, it was not entirely simple to install "pure" 64-bit MS Office. Aside from various warnings that some things may break under 64-bit Office, or require 32-bit Office, there were also Office-related apps that had no 64-bit version (I don't recall which, now; perhaps Project or Visio or OneNote?). I also recall that I was required to use some (downloadable) MS tools to ensure complete uninstallation of 32-bit Office because the usual remnants left in the Registry triggered subsequent 32-bit installations.

There are many articles on TechNet and its Forums detailing the trials and tribulations of getting 64-bit Office properly operational, along with the ODBC stuff. It probably is easier now than two years ago when I went through this mess.

If you're downloading MS Office (Excel in particular) you may find that the bit-width of the browser you use may trigger the bit-width of what you get (like some versions of Java). For Office 2013, I think the download is both 32 & 64-bit, but be constantly aware of what you're installing. I recommend Revo Uninstaller, to track every file installed, so if you need to uninstall and re-try Office, then you can do it cleanly.

Maybe someone else has more current info.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using a computer with windows 8 and Archicad 16 64 bits. I'm trying to create a DNS with Archicad 64 bits ODBC. But, when i've specified the .pln file and select 'next' on the dialog box, it crashes and give me an message "ODBC Manager stop working" (something like that, i'm from Colombia and all my software is in spanish). I've attached an image.

Someone with this problem too? what is your solution?

David.
error_ODBC.png