BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD to dwg translation graphical problem

davor_r
Newcomer
There is several topics on this situation, but noone explained how to fix this graphical issue. How to set up conversion table for fills and linetypes to be in dwg exactly line in pln. Most of the problems are with custom linetypes (not matching in corners) and transparent and gradient fills. Better explained in picture.
AC22 • iMac 3,4GHz Intel Core I5 | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.4
6 REPLIES 6
davor_r
Newcomer
Is there anyone who knows somethnig about this or to dirrect on other topic? Thanks
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi davor_r,

Thank you for reporting the issue here and I'm sorry for the experience! I'll try to tackle each problem one by one:

- Conversion of gradient fills from/to DXF/DWG formats are not properly supported, because despite the concept is simple, the DXF/DWG format has more variations, variables and more complex gradient fills than ARCHICAD does. But there is a workaround for this. To export gradient fill to AutoCAD, in the DXF-DWG Translation Setup > Attributes > Fills > Methods, you need to tick the option 'Explode gradient fills'. Note: this only works if the background and foreground color is not set to transparent.

- Currently, it is not possible to export the transparent fills straight from ARCHICAD to DWG file, since the method of controlling transparency in AutoCAD is different compared to ARCHICAD. The trick here is to use a template AutoCAD file (DWG or DWT) with preset transparent layers

then use this as a template file to export to DWG

Separate the fills in ARCHICAD according to their transparency levels into different layers. Under DXF-DWG Translation Setup > Attributes > Layers > Methods, choose 'ARCHICAD Layers' in the list 'Create Layers according to'
Then assign the ARCHICAD layers as can be seen in the screenshot below.

This trick will help to export fills with different transparency levels into their designated layers in AutoCAD.

- The last issue, which is exporting symbolic polyline to AutoCAD. To be honest, we have tried to replicate the issue in-house, but were unsuccessful to replicate it. If it's possible, we would be extremely grateful if you could forward a test PLA file for further investigation.

I hope my answer can help you with this issue, although it may arrive a bit too late. Thank you very much for your questions, these will surely help us to perfect the software little by little!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

davor_r
Newcomer
Thank you Minh. I tried your way and it works, even with transparent background in ArchiCAD. I am sending you link with that pla file, so you can try also. In that file is custom made lines, which cannot be saved in AutoCAD in the same way they are in ArchiCAD. Please try to save dwg by yourself and let me know do you have the same problem.

link: https://www.dropbox.com/preview/TEST.pla?role=personal

Thanks in advance,

Davor
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Davor,

I hope that you and your loved ones are doing well during these challenging times!

Thank you for your message! I will forward it to our Technical Support team for further investigation. As soon as we have a conclusion, I will let you know. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Davor,

We had a look at the file and found out that, this is an issue with how AutoCAD and ARCHICAD handle symbol lines differently. In ARCHICAD, the section of the line can be "cut" (or partially displayed) to fit with the total length, whereas in AutoCAD, it can only render full sections of line types.

To demonstrate the difference, I have 2 GIF attached below:

- In ARCHICAD:

- In AutoCAD

To get around this issue, similar to what I wrote before, at DWG export, the exact Linetype has to be mapped to one prepared in a DWG template file using the Linetype - Linetype conversation:

- Create the custom line in AutoCAD and save it as a DWG.
- Set this file as a template in the DWG Translator Settings > Save Options > Template File.
- Under Attributes > Line Types > Linetype - Linetype conversation set the proper Linetype mapping between ARCHICAD and AutoCAD Line Types.

I hope this will answer your question. If you have any further issues, feel free to ask me again!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh, it's been two years but i just found this, and it looks like a nice trick, but i have a question, Do this means we have to create a different layer for each type of fill? what happens if i want to export cover fills with different transparency?

thanks!

ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Radeon RX 570 Series 4 GB - 32 gb RAM
Learn and get certified!