Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad 17 Sketchup import info & conversion

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to import an elementary sketchup apartment model (floor, walls and flat roof) in Archicad: first of all - Sketchup 13 version import does not work. I had to save in SKP 8 file.

When opening skp 8 file I correctly display my apartment, but it seems to be like a "one block piece". How can I transform the architecture adding the material feature from archicad?

For example, i want to transform all the floors in a 30cm slab of concrete+pavement, the walls in various kinds depending by their width and the flat roof in its archicad counterpart.

Is there an automated feature that can do this for me?

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
No. The import creates a single object. You can convert the object to Morphs to do some minor editing or material all assignment, but there is no means to create wall, slab, roof etc elements.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
RWARCHPC
Booster
I just tried this myself, using archicad 17 and saving sketchup down to version 8. All I get is a tiny brown dot on my archicad screen when the file completes conversion. I also tried dragging and dropping the the sketchup file and got the same result.
Robert Wilkanowski
Archicad 27
Mac OS Monterey
Hardware: M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 64GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just upgraded from ACv13 to ACv17. I'm well behind the learning curve although started from v4. What happened the SKUP to AC translator feature? Back in v11/v12 SKP files came into AC beautifully with walls, slab, roofs etc. perfectly translated in AC. Why would Graphisoft want to disable this feature if in fact they have? Sketchup has an enormous user base but lacks sophisticated tools for doing construction documents so this seems like a win win for both companies to be transparent with one another's softwares. Hopefully there's a way and I've just not found it yet. Anyone?
Karl Ottenstein
Back in v11/v12 SKP files came into AC beautifully with walls, slab, roofs etc. perfectly translated in AC.
That add-on was never fully implemented and was dropped years ago. The translation was far from perfect. There is no method for converting SU surfaces to AC elements any longer.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the video link from AC 17 on importing the sketch up file into useable morphs:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/videos/archicad/import-export/google-earth-warehouse-sketchup-conne...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I once successfully imported a Sketchup file into ArchiCAD 17. Today, no. The sketchup file is in a folder on my computer. While in ArchiCAD, I go to File>File Special>Merge and browse for the file. The file is grayed out and is not selectable. What am I missing? TIA
Anonymous
Not applicable
I somewhat solved my issue posted below. To import the sketchup file into ArchiCAD, I first opened the file in sketchup, selected it and went File>Export> and selected the .kmz file format. I then exported it to my project file folder. I then opened my ArchiCAD project, File>File Special>Merge, browsed for the .kmz file, (which was not grayed out), selected it and placed it in the Floor Plan (the only place it can be imported. So, success; just not as simple as explained in the Help file online.