Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad 22 DWG translators

Bob Moore
Enthusiast
Last week for the first time since I started using Archicad(2007) my engineers(Who use the latest AutoCAD) are unable to use the DWGs that I send to them. I sent them to two different sets of engineers and got the same response. I used both the built-in translator(the one I've always used) and the one that allows further editing because the first didn't work.

They get a warning saying the drawing was not created with a program not compatible with Autodesk. Basically, it looks like a picture, not a drawing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
15 REPLIES 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thanks Daniel.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
davor_r
Newcomer
I use a pln to dwg translation every day. There is no problem just need to understand things. as Mikas said, saving from the model is the direct saving of the working file. While saving from the layout (which I presume is the case here) is another matter.
Namely, when you save from the layout, with the frames and margins set, the layout view also opens in the autocad. When you click the model view (lover left part of the AutoCAD interface screen), there is a "stiffed" drawing that looks like jpg or pdf. This is the way to work with the so-called x-ref files (referenced files). They serve only as a basis, through which it is drawn into the autocad. When you send new x-ref files to colleagues, they only replace them. As an old system of manual drawing and stacking of paus paper one over the other.

You can set the option to send x-ref files or editable drawings in the translator.
AC22 • iMac 3,4GHz Intel Core I5 | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.4
William Yan
Expert
davor_r wrote:
I use a pln to dwg translation every day. There is no problem just need to understand things. as Mikas said, saving from the model is the direct saving of the working file. While saving from the layout (which I presume is the case here) is another matter.
Namely, when you save from the layout, with the frames and margins set, the layout view also opens in the autocad. When you click the model view (lover left part of the AutoCAD interface screen), there is a "stiffed" drawing that looks like jpg or pdf. This is the way to work with the so-called x-ref files (referenced files). They serve only as a basis, through which it is drawn into the autocad. When you send new x-ref files to colleagues, they only replace them. As an old system of manual drawing and stacking of paus paper one over the other.

You can set the option to send x-ref files or editable drawings in the translator.
Dear davor, Since you use this translator everyday, can you help out with the dimension error of the exported dwg file? Thanks!
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=66959
AC 26 5002 CHI, Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, we are having the same problem, and going back to 2017 or earlier doesn't solve it.
The problem is encountered by all consultants over the pas two weeks, and opening the file renders it uneditable.
Anonymous
Not applicable
RE: ARCHICAD 22 DWG TRANSLATORS#296216
By dkovacsGRAPHISOFT - Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:23 pm
Hello Everyone,

I think the original issue of the subcontractors is probably how mikas explained. I just wanted to comment on the issue Laszlo Nagy pitched:
LaszloNagy wrote:
I encountered a strange thing while checking out this issue.
I have saved 2 DWG from ARCHICAD.
The first I set to be saved in AutoCAD 2004 format. It opened without issue.
The second I set to be saved in AutoCAD 2018 format. When I opened it in AutoCAD 2019 it gave the following warning, stating that it was created in a Student Version so there will be a plot stamp in it. I will report this issue to GRAPHISOFT.
This is because of an error in the engine we use for the export of AutoCAD 2018 DWG files. We have identified the issue and planning to solve it in ARCHICAD 23 (fix #258978).
Since this issue only affects AutoCAD 2018 DWG export, if you export to any other earlier version (e.g. 2017), it will work fine.

Regards,

Daniel Alexander Kovacs
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT
Has this been addressed yet? This is still a very contemporary problem for our office. and for the record, it appears to affect any file openned in current versions of autocad, regardless of the file format version we save it down to.
Eduardo Rolon
I just tried it using Autocad 2010 as format and didn't get they issue.
Just in case if you use a reference file for saving check that it was not overwritten with a 2018 export since that will switch every single version to EDU_DWG.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator