BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad 25 needs to close CAD files in order to update them

jl_lt
Ace

Hi! in this case, the title might be self-describing, but yes, Archicad 25 and below needs me to close a cad reference file in order to update it inside Archicad, which if its one or two files is not that much of a hassle. But what about 5? or 25?  Yet more unnecesary clicks.

So, in case it hasnt been fixed in 26 or 27, would it be possible to allow for CAD files to update inside Archicad WITHOUT needing to close the original file? this way we could keep working on two different files on two different software at the same time, talk about collaboration!

3 REPLIES 3
Lingwisyer
Guru

Been like that forever... All the xRefs in that loaded file need to be closed as well... and xClips are ignored... I tend to duplicate any referenced DWGs into a seperate xRef folder for AC and override those when ever I need to. There was a LISP I had at one point which would turn xRefs into Blocks and trim everything that was outside any xClip boundaries.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

My guess is that it might be an artifact from the pre-windows era, same as the software inability to detect in which folder the actual file you are working on resides (it remembers the last file location, not the current one, at least in my configuration).

I do not get why AC cannot just open the file as read only, why does it need editing rights...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!