BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad Export Into 3DS Max

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There,

Can anyone help me with a problem im having at the moment. Im having to use 3DS max in order to create a construction sequence movie and im having alot of trouble following importing my Archicad file into a workable 3ds max file. The way that i have been shown how to export the file is by saving the archicad file as a .dwg, and using the import tool in 3DS max opening the file as 'Autocad Legacy'. The model itself imports into 3DS max fine, yet i have to re-colour my model using 3DS max textures.

But the largest problem im having is that any walls that have been grouped together in archicad are not grouped together in 3DS max and i therefore have to re-group all of these walls in order to move objects more easily to create the movie. Does anyone know of an easier way to import an Archicad model into 3DS Max and a way that keeps the groups together i have made in Archicad?
Or would i need to organise my archicad model into layers? (a process which im not too familiar with in archicad and have never felt the need o layer my files)

Any help you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks alot
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all, add your signature, describing your software versions and hardware configuration! Writing your own name would be nice too, as nobody likes to give advice to strangers. This is the proper etiquette in the forum and it will very much help us help you! And, please, don't cross-post!

To your question - the method you describe sounds strange! Do a search in the forum and and you'll find many discussions on the subject!

Of course you'll have to "recolour" your model in Max - you can't expect AC to have the same mapping capabilities as Max does! 😉

Groups can't be exported as groups! Walls will be "grouped" in Max if they have the same material.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Right i think iv discovered a way of doing this! I've saved the 3d view as '.3ds' as shown in other posts, and saved it under the sub-option 'layers-materials'. This has grouped together the layers that iv created in archicad which has saved me a great deal of time and also its kept my materials (or thereabouts!)

P.s i'll put my signature on now too, thanks alot!

James
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I guess you are aware of the fact that there is a Construction Simulation Goodie downloadable for AC, but I suppose you want to do it in 3D Studio?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Export "by material" only! Makes life easier! 😉
Learn and get certified!