Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad >> Illustrator >> Lasercutting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi! My team and I just finished designing our building in Archicad, and wish to export it to Illustrator to then cut our model out of cardboard with a laser to make a model. After browsing through several forums, I gathered that I have to export my views as a .dwg file and then open it on illustrator. I tried exporting the file in different ways, but illustrator keeps telling me that 'the file 'xx' is an unknown format and cannot be opened'.

I have the latest versions of archicad 22 and illustrator cc 2019. MacBook, mojave(10.14), 2018.

It would be great if y'all could give us some suggestions!
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Not sure how to fix your problem, but if you have AutoCAD, you will want to run the command "Overkill" as you get a lot of overlapping lines from ArchiCAD. When using Corel Draw, having overlapping lines would result in the laser running over the same section multiple times in rapid succession which may cause broader burns and possibly start a fire. Not sure if Illustrator will run into this same issue.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
My team designed a building in Archicad, then exported a view as a pdf and imported it into Illustrator to then laser it onto cardboard and build our model.

We have run into the following problem: after having imported the file into Illustrator, we found that all of the lines in the view are layered over one another three times, meaning to avoid the laser engraving each line three times, we have to delete two of the three. Of course, we can do this manually, but it's taking a massive amount of time. Is there a way to delete two of these line layers with just a few clicks?

MacOS, Mojave, 14.10, Illustrator CC 2019, archicad 22
Eduardo Rolon
Try exporting to an older version of DWG or to DXF, that might help with the import.
To avoid overlapping on the PDF you might try creating a Worksheet for the drawing and running from the Menu Edit->Reshape-> Linework Consolidation to avoid the line. You can select all the fills and deleted them too IIRC.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would try with pdf. Using Worksheet should also help as ejrolon suggested.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Clean up lines with the 'Linework consolidation' command. Edit>reshape>linework consolidation

Delete duplicates/overlapping/etc.