Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad incorrectly exports .3ds textures causing failure

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've noticed this has been a problem in Archicad for ages. Most of the time, when I export a .3ds file and try to import it into 3dsmax, it comes up with the error message "Improper file format".

This is caused by Archicad incorrectly truncating texture names. Most of the time, it shortens them correctly to 8 characters. However, sometimes it adds an extra number to differentiate texture names... which ends up being 8 characters + 1 character. For instance, if you try exporting Keyboard 15 out of Archicad, this will occur. This means the file does not conform to 8.3 standards.

Can we please get a fix for this??
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does Max still require 8.3? That seems ridiculous.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is ridiculous, but is the truth.
sinceV6
Advocate
in the ages I've been using AC, I've never had that issue when exporting. I do remember the .3ds export feature being kind of broken in V10 I think, when it randomly skipped geometry when exporting; but recent versions have been working great. Of course... I never export with texture info, only model info... have you tried that?
Anonymous
Not applicable
That works fine. Why wouldn't you want the textures though? It's annoying to have to re-texture everything.
sinceV6
Advocate
Perhaps... but only if you render using AC textures and materials without tweaking them in the material editor. If you do, then you're better off creating them in max or bring'em up from a library... so it's not that annoying. And if you use the file link option, you only apply materials and UVs once, and you have far more control of your materials.

just my opinion
Best regards