Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Autocad viewports translation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone-
I recently provided dwgs to a client and, aside from a bit of linework done in autocad (layers have colors!-say what!!), everything went smoothly and they were happy with their deliverable. One thing that was a problem was that although the drawing layout looked great in paper space, when you toggled to model space the views/viewports (?) were scattered all over. I don't know if either of these is the correct terminology in autocad, but they seem to act much the same way as our views. When I selected them in model space- legends, notes, etc. and moved them up closer to the floor plan (to mimic the sheet layout), of course when I toggled back to paper space the viewports were empty. While we work up and down in stories, an autocad user told me you work from side to side in model space. So I can see how this is important to our client that everything is more closely related in model space. My question is is there a way to determine where all of the information will show up in model space when saved as a dwg from AC? The plan came in right at the origin point so I was wondering if all my views have to have a relationship to the global origin. The viewports aren't that difficult to recreate, but it's just another step that takes time. I'm constantly trying to make the post-Archicad work lighter. One benefit to working in and learning more about autocad is how it makes me appreciate the Archicad workspace and workflow more than ever. Thanks for any help that can be provided?
Andrew Bartos (a dedicated AC user since AC 5.0)
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to control how those views are placed in the Model Space in Autocad. I actually don't know what is the logic behind their placement.
But you are right, it would be nice if they were just simply lined up in Model Space according to some easily understandable logic.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlo, thank you very much for answering my question.....I appreciate it. Have a good day!