BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Can't define IFC site object?

R Muller
Enthusiast
It appears to be impossible to define any archicad object as an IFC site object. The object settings include the IFC Element Type classification setting, but the pull-down menu for classification does not include an option for "site".

I can set IFC export options to translate meshes to IFC site objects, as long as the meshes are set to "Automatic" in their object classification settings. However, even though I can set export options to create the IFC site "from meshes and IFC site objects", I can't seem to create any IFC site objects.

Is this right? Or is there some other way to do it? I am new to IFC...

I find that the meshes retain their SEO operations on translation to IFC, but walls and slabs that I intersected with the meshes do not retain their shapes. Since these walls and slabs are my roads and sidewalks, they should really be site objects as well, but I cannot find any way to define them as such.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
A work around suggested is to save the site as a library part. will this work for you?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
R Muller
Enthusiast
I'm hopeful that it will work without needing to save the site as a library part. Since I posted yesterday I have done some move investigating.

I selected all the roads in ArchiCAD and changed their IFC classification from "automatic" to "wall". Now they show up correctly in the IFC model, SEO's and all.

I also have about 20 identical walls, with identical SEO's, that I am using as property lines so I can see the property boundary in 3D. About half of these translated OK, the other half didn't. I have called tech support and they are working on it. It seems to me that if some walls work OK, they all should be able to.

Still haven't heard anything about what is a "site object" an how to define one.

I will post again after I hear back from tech support.
R Muller
R Muller
Enthusiast
Here's an update. I was able to save the model with the site elements correctly trimmed to the mesh, using the following work-around:

The walls that weren't trimmed in translation were replaced with slabs having the same dimensions as the walls. Then we did new SEO's with the new slabs.
IFC classification for the new slabs was set as "wall", rather than "automatic", same as we did for the roads. The translation is now OK.

Now on to the next question, which I will post in a separate topic. What determines the color in the IFC translation?
R Muller
Learn and get certified!