Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

DWG AC24 translator "explodes" all objects into lines...'No bueno'

rob2218
Enthusiast
I'm posting this question up for a friend.
Seems when he uses the AC24 DWG translator...it's 'exploding' all objects into individual lines, arcs, little pieces and segments of lines....and his engineers are having a heck of a time with the DWG file.

Is there a setting in the translator he is missing from toggling on or off that prevents this from happening?

thanks for the help.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
rob2218 wrote:
Seems when he uses the AC24 DWG translator...it's 'exploding' all objects into individual lines, arcs, little pieces and segments of lines....
There is no single "AC24" translator. Like everything, a DWG translator is a very customizable thing... and depending on the localization, you will have some pre-built translators that may either be useful as-is, or may be a start for further customization specific to the required need.

Attached are two screenshots. One shows the pre-installed, sample translators provided in the USA installation. Notice the "Description" field contains documentation to describe how the given translator should behave. In particular, though, see the "Saving Floor Plan" option screenshot. It sounds like your client has this set to "Explode ARCHICAD Elements" rather than "Convert ARCHICAD Elements to Blocks".

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
rob2218 wrote:
Seems when he uses the AC24 DWG translator...it's 'exploding' all objects into individual lines, arcs, little pieces and segments of lines....
There is no single "AC24" translator. Like everything, a DWG translator is a very customizable thing... and depending on the localization, you will have some pre-built translators that may either be useful as-is, or may be a start for further customization specific to the required need.

Attached are two screenshots. One shows the pre-installed, sample translators provided in the USA installation. Notice the "Description" field contains documentation to describe how the given translator should behave. In particular, though, see the "Saving Floor Plan" option screenshot. It sounds like your client has this set to "Explode ARCHICAD Elements" rather than "Convert ARCHICAD Elements to Blocks".

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks a heep Karl.
I'll pass this on to them.
much ablidged.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Thomas Holm
Booster
I’d like to add:
—You should be very careful when selecting the export objects as blocks option. Always examine the exported DWG thoroughly.
In our AC24 5003 SWE there seems to be a bug in the DWG export translator: the resulting blocks don’t contain any of the modifications or customizations we’ve made to the Archicad objects. They export with their default appearance, dimensions etc. (Except when they just create havoc in the dwg file).
We’ve resorted to only export with the explode Archicad objects option checked. This at least preserves the intended appearance of the objects.
We always export with the Keep pen index number translator, never Bylayer, and set to AutoCAD 13 as target.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1