Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG export and Transmittal managing problems AC24

CaticonC
Contributor
I feel like this is a huge problem that it should be addresed soon, and it has taken me too many hours to try to solve, with no success. AC24 has a lot of issues when exporting to DWG, issues AC22 didn't have (the version i've been working before) Please forgive my english since it's not my native language.

Problem N°1: When exporting to dwg, no matter if i'm on a .pln or bimcloud file, it always asks me to update the drawings on the layout, even if i did updated them already. It's specially annoying and repetitive with sections and interior elevations. I even sent my file to a technical support person from this forum, but they couldn't find a solution. Why this is annoying? When the drawings are not up to date, the scale of the linetypes are lost, and do not reflect my drawings in archicad. This did not happen on AC22

*EDIT* Here's the link to the original thread about this issue: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=322897

Now, to the transmittal managing nightmare.
I have to split up this part in two, please bear with me.

Problem N°2: (This is the only problem we had on AC22 too)
We use the archicad object 'Revision History Detailed' on our layouts, since it automatically shows the changes affecting each layout. The problem appears when exporting various layouts to a single DWG: the list of changes shown on the revision history is stuck to the first layout on all the rest of the layouts. Let me explain:
Lay 01, has changes 01, 02, 03
Lay 02: changes 04, 05 ,06, and so on.
The same revision history from layout 01 is shown in every titleblock from lay02 to etc (changes 01, 02, 03).
The solution we found: it appeared as a cad block, so if we deleted it on lay02 on autocad, the real revision history of this sheet was shown under it.
The problem doesn't exist when exporting to single sheet per Dwg, but some clients have the requirement of delivering the drawings on a single DWG. So...we have to tell them to check the PDF version of the layouts to see the correct changes on each sheet.
As you probably understand, when you have a big delivery and lots of dwg's, you are not going to have the time to open each one and deleting the wrong revision block on every layout.

Now, to:

Problem N°3: Change clouds.
Similar to Problem n°2, when exporting layouts to a single DWG, the DWG only shows the clouds on the first Sheet, and then there's nothing, no clouds on the rest of the sheets.
I could *understand* the revision history problem, but this is one of those things that almost makes me want to go back to AC22.

I wish they fix this ASAP on AC24, because i feel these are important issues that affect the information exchange with everyone.

Some things to clarify: I've worked on both AC versions, with .pln and bimcloud, we have our own dwg translators that work pretty well, and have not found a correlation between missing change clouds and the translator.
I don't want to lose more time trying to solve this.
ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Radeon RX 570 Series 4 GB - 32 gb RAM
7 REPLIES 7
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for raising your concerns and I am very sorry for the experience!

Regarding the issues that you're having, I will try to explain each of them one by one:

- Problem 1: Unfortunately, so far we only received this single report regarding this issue. This is why it was very difficult to investigate further without new data or a way to reproduce it. Are you still experience the same issue in a new file, especially with the layout where Interior Elevation views are placed?

- Problem 2: I found out where the problem is: if you set the DWG translator to: Saving Floor Plan: Convert Archicad Elements to Blocks, the object becomes a block in the output DWG. Exporting individual layouts won't cause this issue, because the state of the object is refreshed in each layout. I suggest setting the translator to: Saving Floor Plan: Explode Archicad Elements, this will provide correct changes for layouts saved into one DWG

- Problem 3: With a brand new file, I was unable to reproduce this issue. The revision cloud is visible in every layout export to DWG. To make sure that this is not file-specific, I'm wondering if you could recreate the issue from a default template file?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

CaticonC
Contributor
Thank you.
About prob nª1, i wasn't the only one, since there was a thread which you saw too https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=322897

About prob nª2: i don't think it's optimal to explode elements, i work with someone who edit the drawings afterwards, and would have problems with this (only when we are in a design phase). Even though, i will consider this when we just have to deliver with no post-edition, thank you.

About prob nº3: I'll take your suggestion and try on a brand new file with a default template

thank you for answering!
ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
CaticonC
Contributor
Sorry the delay, i've been very busy.

Ok, so i tried with a new file, with default archicad 24 template and profile
Made a simple cube with walls. Added one revision cloud on first two layouts, default cloud in a default layer.
Exported two layouts into a single DWG with the publisher. Tried with two different translators.

File 1: Used our company translator, and the revision clouds are correctly there, in both layouts.
File 2: Used on of the default translator 'For as is output', and there's no revision clouds on any layout!

I'm really lost as to why this is happening.
ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
CaticonC
Contributor
So, i tried another thing.
I copied/pásted the revision cloud from the default file to my project file, on a random layout that already had some revisiones i made.

1. The revisions i made are in their own layer, and the cloud i copied/pasted left it in the Archicad layer.
Exported to a single dwg and the cloud from the default file appeared.

So i guess is a layer thing.

2. I put the default cloud on our company layer (which is specially made for revision clouds) and when exported to dwg, it doesnt appear.

So it is a layer issue.

3. But then. after some more tests, the file just doesn't export any clouds at all.

I'm getting a little frustrated by this
ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for the extensive tests!

Unfortunately, I still couldn't reproduce the issue using the 03 For as output translator. I attached here an example DWG I made using Archicad 24 6001.

Could you please share with me your sample test PLN file and the DWG result for further checking? If you need a secure place to upload them, please let me know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

CaticonC
Contributor
I'm working with Archicad 4018 INT, the pending update i have is the 5000.

Is it a problem with the INT version?
ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

I don't think the build is the issue. I tried with the previous ones as well, but still cannot reproduce it This is why I would like to ask for your files for comparison. Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT