BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Door Schedule using incorrect Zones

Wokka
Contributor
We have a large development with each room assigned an independant zone name and number. We also have (on another hidden layer) zones showing fire compartments. The schedule is calling up the fire compartment zone in most situations and not the correct real name. Is there a way to sort the schedule to reference only a particular catagorie of zone or some other filter method??

Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
24 REPLIES 24
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you find out, I am keen to get the answer too!

I've not yet found a way to assign a door (or any object) to a particular zone and it doesn't seem to work by layer visibility or zone category. We have room zones, GFA zones, GBA zones, etc, etc, and have yet to get the correct zones in our door schedule automatically.

AC seems to use the last placed zone, so one workaround is to close the schedule window, cut out all the room zones, past them back in their original positions, then reopen (regenerate) the schedule.

Let me know if it works for you too, not that it is the ultimate answer by any means.

Cheers,
Link.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Wokka,
If you have the different kind of zones each on separate layers, on the criteria tab if you specify the layer(s) either to include or layer(s) to exclude, would that not do what you are after?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hey Erika

The door schedule is using the value of 'All Door Types' as the Element Type in its Criteria. There's no way to list which Zone its in, which is the problem.

Unless I'm missing something?

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
No direct experience with the multiple zone thing, but some memories of things I've read here...

If multiple zones occupy exactly the same space, then you cannot determine which zone a door/window (or other object) will claim it is in. (In GDL, though, you can query and get a list of every overlapping zone that the object is in.)

I recall someone posting that there is a relation between the physical zone volume (it is a 3D object with volume, even if you are using it as a 2D stamp for area calcs) and some anchor point of an object. So, if your differing zones - occupying the same space - do not need to be volumetric, but only for the area stamp and scheduling, you could try making them thin and placing them at different z-heights? Or, maybe the zone that you WANT for the doors has to be thick enough to encompass the door base or header or...

Just rambling...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
Link & Wokka,
- overlapping zones have always been a problem and AC isn't the only program with this problem.

-For some projects like a residence it's easy enough to move the heat/cool zones away a set distance leaving the room zones that also work for room names and get trimmed. For larger projects this may be messy, but perhaps less so than making new zones as link described.

-What about using a custom parameter to note the Fire Compartment area?

-getting archicad doors to read the right zone has been problematic at times. Stupid since smart parts and perhaps other doors have resolved this problem.

Link, you know the gang at GS, why don't you send them your Christmas wish list?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I know I must be missing something... but I, too, have been faced with a similar issue. For me, it was SITE ZONES (living, garage, patio, etc) vs. ROOMS for zones.... I finally had to acquiesce and do the SITE ZONES as FILLS...

So, if you are NOT using the FIRE zones as ZONES (for listing / scheduling) then change the to FILLS (for display)... You can make up for the missing zones by adding FIRE as a PARAMETER of the ROOM ZONES such that several ROOM Zones will belong to FIRE GROUP 1, etc.

Of course this falls apart if a FIRE ZONE cuts ONE ROOM ZONE in half... but not sure if that's likely...

WISHLIST: Give SCHEDULES(and the objects they are listing) the power to

1. Belong to more than one ZONE (fine, make it so they belong to only ONE zone per ZONE CATEGORY)

2. Then allow schedules to isolate ZONES by the ZONE Category... So for Door Schedules, let them show all the ROOM Zones and for the Fire Plan let the schedule show all the FIRE ZONEs...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Additional WISHLIST:

Make schedules / objects link to ZONES by ACTIVE LAYER... So if I want doors to be linked to ROOM ZONES, I simply turn off all other layers that have zones on them..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
BTW... you know in AC14, all the doors and window now have an OVERRIDE parameter that lets you set LOCATION to either the ZONE or some dumb text typed in a box...

I had to use this not because of overlapping zones, but because the darn doors would not read the only zone that was there..

Used to be if a WALL (that the door was in) touched more than one zone, the schedule could not read/display the room name.. I thought GS fixed that, but maybe not..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Erika wrote:
-getting archicad doors to read the right zone has been problematic at times. Stupid since smart parts and perhaps other doors have resolved this problem.
How have they resolved it?

I've already wished for (read: reported the issue) but I'm not sure if I've been a good enough boy this year to get it.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!