BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export to 3ds - strange surfaces

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
We're exporting 3ds from AC to 3DS using materials, scale=1000mm. When opening the 3ds-file in 3DS the surface textures lok weird and flickers when moving around. If I move closer it looks ok but when viewing the whole projects it looks really bad. WE get this from Sketchup as well.
Is there any solution to this?
See attachment for visual explanation.
Cheers,
Mats

ac23ds.jpg
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
4 REPLIES 4
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
Hi Mats,
try setting your units to 1mm.

Cheers
Francois
François Chatelain
Worldwide Digital Imaging
Formerly posting as RanXerox
"A little bump will help blur your reflections"
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
François wrote:
Hi Mats,
try setting your units to 1mm.

Cheers
Francois
Hi,

Do you mean in the export? I tried and the flickering in 3ds was gone but the scale was of course wrong. We need to work in the correct scale. We'll install a new really strong graphics card and see what happens. we've had it for two weeks but it's still in the box.

Salut,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

Anonymous
Not applicable
You might try changing both export and import units. This would retain the scale and might help the textures. How do they render? Is it just an OpenGL problem?

You may already know this, but another thing to watch out for if you are importing multiple 3DS files is that the SketchUp exporter will duplicate texture names which will completely mess up the material assignments. The only fix I've found is to rename the textures before importing them. The importer will then ask you to relocate the "missing" textures. It seems really stupid that SketchUp does this but I guess they haven't though it through.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
You might try changing both export and import units. This would retain the scale and might help the textures. How do they render? Is it just an OpenGL problem?

You may already know this, but another thing to watch out for if you are importing multiple 3DS files is that the SketchUp exporter will duplicate texture names which will completely mess up the material assignments. The only fix I've found is to rename the textures before importing them. The importer will then ask you to relocate the "missing" textures. It seems really stupid that SketchUp does this but I guess they haven't though it through.
Thanks, we'll try that. It's mot likely an OpenGL problem. It's a single 3DS-model from ArchiCAD. /Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

Learn and get certified!