BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export to DXF

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I export a ArchiCAD file to then import it and open it up in a CAD program that I am much more skilled in? This file I created in AC10 is now unworkable in so many ways to a rookie like me-Somehow Archicad (obviously user error but finding out the how, what and why in this program is not easily discernible) completely changes the file to have layouts that no longer are attached to the native file resulting in unavailable drawings to references which I did not create (or were not there when file was last closed) layouts look fine but then the automatic updating causes all drawings to loose most of their elements?! (not related to layer visibility because switching on all layers doesn't change this) and then the program crashes every time I invoke the publish command.
I give up.
Just need to export the whole file, as obviously cannot publish DXFs to then open up in the other CAD program.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Holm
Booster
I guess you'd have to be just a wee bit more specific. But if you give up, then it's no idea.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Damon wrote:
How do I export a ArchiCAD file to then import it and open it up in a CAD program that I am much more skilled in? This file I created in AC10 is now unworkable in so many ways to a rookie like me-Somehow Archicad (obviously user error but finding out the how, what and why in this program is not easily discernible) completely changes the file to have layouts that no longer are attached to the native file resulting in unavailable drawings to references which I did not create (or were not there when file was last closed) layouts look fine but then the automatic updating causes all drawings to loose most of their elements?! (not related to layer visibility because switching on all layers doesn't change this) and then the program crashes every time I invoke the publish command.
I give up.
Just need to export the whole file, as obviously cannot publish DXFs to then open up in the other CAD program.

Thanks
My first question would be whether you received any training because you sound confused from what you write with a lot of question marks in front of your eyes.

Let us see.
About Drawings: There is a Drawing Manager which lists all Drawings placed in any viewpoint or any Layout. It is accessible by pressing the button in the upper left corner of the Navigator Palette.
In the Drawing Manager Palette you can relink any Drawing that does not find its source to the correct source.

Another thing: when you place a Drawing on a Layout, its source is always a View which you can find in the View Map. A View has Layer Combinations stored with it. So if you go back to the Floor Plan and make all layers visible or if you are in the Layout Book and make all layers visible, that will not have any effect on that Drawing on that Layout.
You have to modify the settings of the View that is the source of the Drawing.

By the way, with IFC file format you can save the whole model and you may be able to successfully import the model into a program that supports IFC 2x3.
If you save as DWG/DXF you will have to save each Floor/Section/Elevation etc. as a separate DWG/DXF file and it will be 2D only with no model intelligence retained.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks laszlonagy,

Sorry for the rant, I actually have had some training but am used to and have fully switched over to a different BIM app where the drawing/elements set up and usage is quite different. This is the last file I have used in ArchiCAD and typical of some projects has just come back to life after being dead in the water for a while. My ultimate frustration and questions stem from a file working fine when closed has completely different settings and references when opened again. Settings which I didn't make because I don't really know how. The file had all but one layout (plans, elevations, sections) generated from that file and now the layouts do not match the native file from which they are attached. I think it has something to do with my naming or saving system.
Anyhoo- I know the app. is powerful and does great things but (at least to me) not particularly flexible nor intuitive and really requires extensive training to make it work.
I do see now the Save as option (Duh!, I am used to export as) to DXF and that should work for me.

I do appreciate all answers and advice and perhaps when not on such a deadline my snarkiness will be lessened and I can be more calm with my descriptions of issues if I venture back into ArchiCAD

Thanks again,

Kedves egeszsegere!

Tad
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, good luck with your future work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!