BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Expressions for Zones

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I'm trying to create a schedule in v22 where I show area in m2 but I also need another column with area in ft2 .
Is there any way I can use expressions to do that?

If I use General Surface Data (Mapping), Data Type: Area, Expression: {Property:Zone/Calculated Area} * 10.764 , when I click on Evaluate I get an error "Element ID: SPCE-013 = --- Property is not available for this Element's Classification."

In v21 I used to export the schedule in excel and do it there. I hope there is a way. Thanks for helping.
4 REPLIES 4
poco2013
Mentor
The classification of the expression and the element that it is made available for must match exactly.

in the expression editor, under the tab 'Availability for Classifications', you can select multiple classifications for availability, but of those classifications must match the one selected for the element under the properties section.

i.e. if you select the 'space' classification in the element, 'space' must also be selected (made available) in the expression. A general selection will not match a more specific selection , which may be your problem.

EDIT:
Also if you are using an expression within a expression, as the INT version is slightly different from the US, all expression classifications and the availability of all properties used must match that of the element.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerry, thanks for your reply.

For my area schedule to work, I need to extract information from zones.
Under Availability for Classifications / Archicad 22 there is no Zones category . Someone suggested to use Space but is doesn't work.
I also tried to create a new "Zones" classification under Classification Manager but I got the same result.
Any suggestions? Thanks
poco2013
Mentor
Space is the classification generally used for zones and I believe is the only one available. There are several sub-classifications under space and you can create your own new one. In creating a new classification you must designate it for zones by checking the zone check box. You can use the general classification or the more specific. The only requirement is that the zone classification and your expression classification must match.

If they match then the property(ies) you are trying to use within your expression is unavailable for zones. Most properties under "General Surface Data (Mapping)" are not available for zones

For calculated area use 'calculated area' under 'Zones' ( between opening & curtain wall) in the main groups -- not under properties. Use the "parameters & properties" dropdown button in the expression editor. The availability of which properties for which elements is not defined by Archicad -- You just have to try them out.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Gerry, you're a star ! All working now. Cheers
Learn and get certified!