Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Extracting GDL parameters from objects into Expression Defined Property Values

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I have a question about "Expression Defined Property Values":

In the expression, is there any way to access the parameters contained in an object's GDL script? (Not the general ones. I know you can use those, but it is not enough.)

Or, similarly, is there a way to access custom-defined IFC parameters? (Because the previous ones can be linked into these.)

Well, I suppose that was two questions. Anyway, right now it seems to me that there is no way to do this. Apparently, for some reason Graphisoft does not want us accessing any of this information through the Expressions, which seems somehow backwards, because the tool itself is very powerful. Has anyone found a way around this? I would really like to be wrong.
4 REPLIES 4
JaseBee
Advocate
When they introduced properties I instantly thought of this, would be great. However at the same time they added the properties the seemed to remove the ability to map to IFC internally (i think you can still map for export)

Short answer is, I tried, couldn't get it to work.

Would also like to be wrong on this one...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62164
AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram
Anonymous
Not applicable
JaseBee wrote:
When they introduced properties I instantly thought of this, would be great. However at the same time they added the properties the seemed to remove the ability to map to IFC internally (i think you can still map for export)

Short answer is, I tried, couldn't get it to work.
Yeah, I'm prepared to accept that there is currently no way to do this. And, it seems this isn't possible in AC23 either (haven't tried, mind you, just looked at the new features list). Does anyone in these forums or @ Graphisoft have any idea why this is not a thing? I think it is a massive oversight on the developer's part.

It seems like a no-brainer feature which should definetely exist, but the parameters just don't seem to talk to each other. I just thought of asking if anyone here figured out a loophole or found/made an add-on which could make this happen.

About the IFC thing: not sure if this is what you mean but they didn't remove the IFC parameters, you can still link object parameters into IFC attributes and schedule them. They just hid this feature in a bunch of really obscure menus in the IFC settings (unfortunately I don't know what the menu items are in english...)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for the necro, but I thought I'd ask if this is still a no-go, or has something happened in newer AC versions that make this possible?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No, it is still (Archicad 24) not possible to use internal parameters of GDL Objects in Expression-defined Property definitions.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27