Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Getting Building Material Names out of Library Objects

gdford
Advisor
I create a collection of morphs each of which has a different building material assigned to it.
Then i select the collection of morphs and turn them into one library object.
I place that object and i open the objects selection settings and i see a list of all of the building materials from the original morphs.
This is cool.... but I can not find a way to pull this building material information out of the object and into a label.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, this is not possible yet. One way to achieve this would be to create an Expression-based Property and obtain the Library Part parameter in that Expression. However, Library Part parameters are not available in Expressions.
This functionality has been wished for before.
The only way to get the Library Part parameters is in Schedules. In Labels, it is not possible.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
The only way to get the Library Part parameters is in Schedules. In Labels, it is not possible.
It is possible, but it is but it is not pretty (but I may be doing it the hard way).
You have to create your own label object and you need to know the parameter name for the building material.

You use ... n = REQUEST ("ASSOCLP_PARVALUE", expr, name_or_index, type, flags, dim1, dim2, p_values)
in the label script to access the

Where 'expr' is the parameter name of the building material from the object (in quotes).

Then that returns the index number of the Building Material to 'p_values'.
Because that is a number you must convert it to the Building material name.

So something like this in the label master script.

rrr=REQUEST ("ASSOCLP_PARVALUE", "buildingMatAttribute_1", name_or_index, type, flags, dim1, dim2, p_values)

nnn = REQUEST ("Name_of_building_material", p_values, name)

Then you use a TEXT2 or Paragraph to show the name in the label in the 2D script.

So you need to know the name of the Building Material parameter (or parameters if there is more than one) so you can request it in the label.
I guess you could create a parameter in the label that would allow you to manually type in the object parameter name or names.

I know it is possible to list ALL parameters of an object (I have seen this done in an object created by Frank-Beister + Jochen Sühlo).
But I am yet to see (or try to create) a label that allows you to choose from a list of available parameters.
Hence why as far as I know, you have to hard code the object parameter name into the label object.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
gdford
Advisor
This is what I figured.
Surely since Building Materials have become the ruling data source, accessing building material data will get easier out of the box.
Thanks to all who have responded!!
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000