Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Google Earth for Archicad 14 - How to download exist bldgs?

rob2218
Enthusiast
hey folks,
well, i'm amongst the living again.
working in an office here in DC and wanted to know if anyone has come across how to "download into their computer" the nice little google earth buildings that show up on google earth?

You know what I'm talking about. how to bring into archicad PLN file the basic massing "grey" shaped buildings which google earth shows.

Also I'm working on a Mac with Archicad 14.

thanks.

Rob
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
5 REPLIES 5
rob2218
Enthusiast
So I guess no one has had the need to use the existing "grey" building which you see on a google site??? I don't believe that.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe you can do this with SketchUp Pro. At least it works with the textured buildings I've made with the GE building maker app. Not sure about GE connection or other possible tricks.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Matthew,
please elaborate on your comment.
you CAN import the 3d building models (grey shaded building you see on google earth) with Sketchup Pro??? is this correct?
have you done it before with success???

I hope I am making myself clear as to what I need.

I'm looking for some way to download either in a SKP format or 3DS format of an area of Washington DC that shows certain 3d buildings.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
Rob,

I think you'r talking about when you see 3D building massing when turned on and navigating in GE? AFAIK, that 3D info will not export - only the terrain will. I hope I'm wrong and that there is a way. If the buildings happen to be in the Google Warehouse, then you can get them from there ... but they will not be geo-located into any imported terrain AFAIK.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
Yes, the 3d grey-ish buildings you see on google earth when you go into 3d mode....yes, that's what I need to be importable into Archicad.

Bummer...I could surely use that information on project we are working on as I'm sure others could too.

it would be great if you could simply "marquee" a section in plan on google earth, then click on some "export out" button and have either a 3DS file or an Archicad PLN file export out.

Wish we could do this function.

Karl wrote:
Rob,

I think you'r talking about when you see 3D building massing when turned on and navigating in GE? AFAIK, that 3D info will not export - only the terrain will. I hope I'm wrong and that there is a way. If the buildings happen to be in the Google Warehouse, then you can get them from there ... but they will not be geo-located into any imported terrain AFAIK.

Karl
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23