BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Hotlinking RVT files?

B_E_A_T_
Advocate
I was reading up on Hotlinking (new IFC-option in Archicad 21 - woohoo!), when I came across this sentence:
Note: When hotlinking IFC or RVT files, make sure you use the Keep Elevation option! Otherwise, the imported model may “fall apart” when its elements are placed in a different story structure
You can find it here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-21/archicad-21-reference-guide/collaboration/hotlink-modules/hotlink-settings/
at the bottom of the page.

Didn't find any other references on this, but is this a typo or is GS really developing this option?
I guess they probably mean IFC made from a RVT?

Would be very nice and really Open (BIM)minded to provide this option...
(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<
3 REPLIES 3
runxel
Legend
B.E.A.T. wrote:
Sorry for being slightly offtopic here, but I'd like to argue against that point.
Sure, for many users, that would be a short-term relief. But this would take away the pressure on the-company-which-name-shall-remain-silent completely.
It would unnecessarily brace the quasi-standard on RVT files, which – I think – can not be the goal.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
B.E.A.T. wrote:
I was reading up on Hotlinking (new IFC-option in Archicad 21 - woohoo!), when I came across this sentence:
Note: When hotlinking IFC or RVT files, make sure you use the Keep Elevation option! Otherwise, the imported model may “fall apart” when its elements are placed in a different story structure
You can find it here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-21/archicad-21-reference-guide/collaboration/hotlink-modules/hotlink-settings/
at the bottom of the page.

Didn't find any other references on this, but is this a typo or is GS really developing this option?
I guess they probably mean IFC made from a RVT?

Must be mistyping. I am not aware of any such feature in ARCHICAD 21.
Hotlinking IFC, yes, but not RVT files.
I will notify the documentation team at GS about it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
stefan
Expert
Maybe they were living in the future for a moment... The Teigha Libraries on which ARCHICAD relies for DWG support also have RVT file format support. This is a paid update to the developer. I'm not aware of anything in particular, but it seems that eventually we will see RVT-file format support in ARCHICAD. It is already happening in a few other applications.

I'm not convinced that having RVT support will magically resolve interoperability between AC & RVT, just like IFC isn't. RVT is still a widely different beast than AC is: Type/Instance difference (AC has no type properties), different material properties (more parameters at material level in RVT), different default property sets (Keynote, Assembly Code, Type Mark... in RVT), different approach to library objects (families based on geometric constraint-based sketching vs Basic programming in GDL), different approach to classification (AC can enable/disable availability of properties based on assigned classification values), reliance on Windows + .NET (especially when taking add-ins into account), visibility/graphics approach in RVT is different to graphic overrides in AC (overrides misses visibility) etc...

Maybe having good RVT file format support is moving attention away from IFC? I don't know.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!