BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC Export - Window Elevations Messed Up

Anonymous
Not applicable
I must be doing something wrong, and hopefully somebody is able to point me into the right direction. I have been searching the forum and found some similar issues with doors, but it did not solve my problem.
We are exporting IFC (V15) for our structural engineer with the generic translator (which has proven to be the best link to Revit Structure for him). All is fine, except for the positioning of any opening (window/door). All windows are dropped below their actual position.
We tried setting the window reference to any possible option. What I realized though, no matter how I export, once I open the IFC model again in AC, the reference is always Header to Story 1 with the Opening Plane set to Vertical.
I tried to set the same values (and all other possible combinations) prior to the export, but it always exports with the same result (see attached).
Any idea?

Thanks

Bjorn
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Bjorn,
This is a bug I reported in 15 and 16. The IFC model viewed in an IFC viewer such as Solibri shows the windows retained their vert. position. It is only when the IFC file is opened up back in Archicad that the windows are shifting their position vertically.

Check with your engineers whether the model IFC imported OK into their program; it may have.

In the meantime check your model in an IFC viewer. My screenshot showsSolibri Model Viewer , great for mac. Other free viewers but PC only are DDS CAD and Tekla BIMsight.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Haha, so I guess Graphisoft is not all that great about their bug reports. We had Monte Chapin in our office yesterday, and he mentioned I should file a bug report (which I did this am), since this is something they have not seen yet. So I guess we have a nice double report on it (can't hurt).
Yes Solibri shows it correctlt, unfortunately, Revit shows it the same way incorrect as ArchiCAD does. Was working great in V14 (maybe we need to go back, lol).
Learn and get certified!