BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC Exporting similar walls in different ways

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I am an engineer collaborating with architects, and we are currently looking into optimizing the translation of ArchiCAD models for Revit using IFC.

I've managed to create a model in ArchiCAD 23, export as IFC, import to revit, and keep working on that model using revit geometry. This is a great workflow that improves the teamwork on both sides.

However, the architect was not able to do so using ArchiCAD 22. I asked him to send his geometry to me wihch I opened with ArchiCAD 23. I found out that, although looking exactly similar, his geometry is being translated differently to IFC. Namely one is a wall, the other one is a building part (see screenshot attached).

I am a complete beginner in ArchiCAD. The question is, is there any hidden parameter that I am missing which explains why, in the same model, similar walls are exported in different ways?

The archicad model is here:
https://mab.to/rJPZNoDfR

Thanks a lot for your help,
Pedro
15 REPLIES 15
Hello,

"...hidden parameter..."

There is no hidden parameter
I invite you to check your ifc export translator and tell us which you use
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for reaching out Christophe.

It shouldn't be a IFC exporting problem. As I said, some walls export correctly, others don't. I am using the following parameters: IFC 2x3, and parametric geometry where possible. From the exporting tests I made, these were the most important options to get the geoemtry correctly translated.

Hi,

So if you think it's not your translator you must check if all your wall a well classified.
Then if all your classifications are right you will check your translator about geometric conversion.
I have already seen few ifc viewer which does not read a same ifc files by the same way !
Finaly you can try to export your ifc by all the archicad translators to verify all these parameters.

Have a nice day !
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Christophe,

So then I go back to my original question. From what it appears to me, the walls are the same. Why would then some would be exported as one layer, and others as two layered elements? (printscreen below)
Are there any more options that the Selection Definition tool (print screen below)

I've tried all exporting options to no avail.

pmcmm wrote:
the walls are the same
I guess but I have to be sure and ask you to verify. We can see a difference so there os a difference ; where ?
You have to verify for example the wall classification and then check the ifc translator about geometric conversion.
Christophe - FRANCE

Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
pmcmm wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am an engineer collaborating with architects, and we are currently looking into optimizing the translation of ArchiCAD models for Revit using IFC.

I've managed to create a model in ArchiCAD 23, export as IFC, import to revit, and keep working on that model using revit geometry. This is a great workflow that improves the teamwork on both sides.

However, the architect was not able to do so using ArchiCAD 22. I asked him to send his geometry to me wihch I opened with ArchiCAD 23. I found out that, although looking exactly similar, his geometry is being translated differently to IFC. Namely one is a wall, the other one is a building part (see screenshot attached).

archicad ps.png
archicad ps 2.png

I am a complete beginner in ArchiCAD. The question is, is there any hidden parameter that I am missing which explains why, in the same model, similar walls are exported in different ways?

The archicad model is here:
https://mab.to/8qkAOe8kb

Thanks a lot for your help,
Pedro
Hi Pedro,

Thank you for posting this here and making it available to everyone in the future

I would love to help out however, when I tried to access the link you provided, I encountered a message saying the file is no longer available.

May I please ask you to provide the file to me again, via a PM, and we will have a look at it here in GRAPHISOFT and try to figure out what went wrong.

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Ghaleb,

Thanks for the reply.

I still haven't found the solution to it, which is a pretty big problem for our team. The link has been updated in the first message and it is below too.

I will be sending it by PM as requested.

Looking forward to hear your insight.
Pedro
Anonymous
Not applicable
hello again everyone,

The solution has been found by the BIM manager of the project. It turns out that it's quite a simple solution. The elements have two parameters under classification,:
* CLassification ARCHICAD 22
* Classification ARCHICAD v2.0

When opening a file from ARCHICAD22 in 23, the element gets classification 22. When drawing manually in 23, the element gets automatically v2.0 settings. When exporting, the 22 return the error explained in previous posts, whereas the v2.0 exports flawlessly.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks Christophe and Ghaleb for taking your time!

Pedro
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
pmcmm wrote:
Dear Ghaleb,

Thanks for the reply.

I still haven't found the solution to it, which is a pretty big problem for our team. The link has been updated in the first message and it is below too.

I will be sending it by PM as requested.

Looking forward to hear your insight.
Pedro
Hi Pedro,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I was not able to check the file you provided. This is due to security measures implemented with the file saving/locking mechanism for Trial files.

Nonetheless, I think this is highly related to the Classification system. Those walls which are labeled as Walls have classified correctly in ARCHICAD and those which have not, will not be labeled correctly. Furthermore, since the result you are getting is "Building Element Proxy", I highly suspect that those walls have not been classified at all as that is also the default value for unclassified elements.

1. Please open the file and select one of the walls which is not exported correctly.
2. Open the Wall Settings Dialog (can be done either directly or with the shortcut cmd+T on Mac and ctrl+T on Windows)
3. Scroll down and locate the CLASSIFICATION AND PROPERTIES tab and open it.
4. Make sure that the wall is actually classified as Wall.
If the "ARCHICAD Classification" box is unchecked, please do check it and search and choose Wall classification.
If the classification is set for something other than wall, please change it to Wall manually.

I have attached an image in hopes that it will help guide you a little.
I hope that indeed was the issue and that this solution will prove to be helpful.

I wish you a fantastic day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com
Learn and get certified!