BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC and custom library parts

kevin b
Contributor
This is one example, I'm sure there are many others...

When saving a file as IFC, an out of the box ArchiCAD library toilet, with IFC classification set to automatic, is exported as a Distribution Flow Element, which as far as I can tell is what it should be. If I have created my own object, ArchiCAD doesn't know what it is with regards to IFC so if I set the classification to automatic it just gets exported as an Oject. I would like to set the classification to be the same as the out of the box toilet, however, Distribution Flow Element is not on the list of element types that I am given as options, even if I select "more."

So is there a way yo modify the IFC Element Type list under the classification tab, so that I can then select the right type, or some other way to do this. The same would be true of say a custom sink, light fixture, or an HVAC diffuser, anything that will have a connection to an MEP system I would think you want to make sure it is the right type to ease importation into REVIT, etc.

Any advice would be helpful.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have not checked this just now, but I believe a toilet is converted into that Distribution Flow Element if the MEP Modeler is installed. In that case the subtype of library parts of such MEP-related elements change.
So I think when you create a new object, if you select the proper subtype, it will be exported properly.
As I said, I have not tried it but that is my idea of how it should work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
kevin b
Contributor
Don't have MEP modeler installed and it still converts it that way.

You are correct, I did find after my original post, that you can chnage the sub-type in the model to the distribution flow element, and then it does convert properly when saving as IFC. Was looking for a way to be able to do it on the fly, via the element settings box without having to open up every custom object and reset the object subtype. Obviously moving forward, we will create new parts with the proper subtype now that it matters.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Learn and get certified!