Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC parameters mapping for the export

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear all,

I am looking for the ways to export the layer material properties to the IFC. Various thermal, optical and mechanical properties are available in the IFC 2x3 schema but not exported by ArchiCAD. (IfcMaterialProperties > IfcThermalMaterialProperties)

I am talking about IfcWallStandardCase > IfcMaterialLayerSet > IfcMaterialLayer > IfcMaterial. Why those property sets can not be specified there?.. Only the property sets for the Ifc Objects are available (e.g. for the whole wall) but not for the wall constructs.

Please share your experience or ideas on how this connection can be made. Or maybe I am misunderstanding the IFC schema...

Thank you in advance!
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
nekoenko wrote:
Dear all,

Please share your experience or ideas on how this connection can be made. Or maybe I am misunderstanding the IFC schema...

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately exporting Material properties via IFC will be the least of your problems as updating, maintaining workflows, meshing, debugging and solving are difficult in the FEM analysis programs.
Multiphysics, is truely the way forward for bim, basically the problem is adina,ansys, comsol,etc,etc arent architecturally friendly, these software programs have evolved for engineers.Now some have their own parametric drawing packages included.Comsol allows you to develope apps that can be delivered directly to clients

CFD Airflow Ventilation Simulation Comparisons Open Window->Ducting
You can also couple Heat Transfer, Particle (Contaminant)Tracing,Vibration,Stress,etc,etc

Vote here..for better data simulations...
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=48338

Also check out simulations for inventor and solidworks..these 2 are the main drivers, in engineering.
Goodluck
DGSketcher
Legend
I'm new to IFC but from what I see, IFC offers only basic level data exchange like shape information and basic properties. I think the level of information you want to exchange is possibly quite advanced. That doesn't mean it can't be done just that you may be ahead of what IFC needs to get right first. The break down of the structure into a readable form is not without merit but you also need to consider that complex or simple profiles will also affect the ability to correctly interpret what to add to the IFC file. It may be the only way to reliably transfer that data would be to actually build the model as separate skins but that brings numerous other issues not least of which would be modelling time!

This may help...

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/ifc-name-attribute-mapping/
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)