Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFCSite from Autodesk Civil 3D 2016 to ArchiCAD 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear All,

I have modelled 3D Site, based on pointcloud in Civil 3D. Exported it to IFC and opened it in ArchiCAD. Is there any possibility to make it be readable like Site in ArchiCAD?

Karol
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karol:

Depending on the format of the file, you might be able to use the Place Mesh from Surveyors Data... command. This will create a Mesh from a .xyz file. In the Help files see: Interoperability > File Handling and Exchange > File Types Opened by ArchiCAD > Other Formats Opened by ArchiCAD.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Karol:

Depending on the format of the file, you might be able to use the Place Mesh from Surveyors Data... command. This will create a Mesh from a .xyz file. In the Help files see: Interoperability > File Handling and Exchange > File Types Opened by ArchiCAD > Other Formats Opened by ArchiCAD.

David
David,
He doesn't have .xyz for pointcloud. He has made mesh model based on it and saved as .ifc file.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karol:

I don't know if these will help in your case, but here is a blog post about Importing Point Clouds and Modelling the Terrain, and a description of the Importing Sets of Points in ASCII Into AutoCAD to see if you can convert the file to .xyz format to use the Place Mesh from Surveyors Data... command.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
There is another process similar to the ones David linked to, detailed in this post. It uses ArchiCAD to read the DWG data into GDL code, then Excel to manipulate the numbers. It's a work-around, but looks promising.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB