BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import External Drawing - Lineweights

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I've set up the dwg conversion table, that works wonderful when i xref an autocad file. The problem is, I need to edit the autocad file (dont have cad on my mac), and want it to remain editable so I can update as needed. Not sure what my options are, but I was trying to bring in the cad file as an external drawing, then exploding it so that all the lines are editable. the problem is, the lineweights dont convert using this method. any ideas?

ps...i tried xrefing, then binding...but it wont let me explode for some reason.
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
Download Draftsight it is free, works like Autocad and runs natively on the Mac.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, that could work. But i'd really like to be able to edit them in ArchiCAD and avoid having to open other programs and then update xrefs. That's why I was using the place drawing feature and exploding.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The best approach is usually to open the DWG in a separate ArchiCAD and edit it there. This can then be hotlinked into the main file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I place the xref on a worksheet and bind it. Once bound you don't "explode it" but you might have to unlock layers and ungroup lines.

Then using the find-select and check duplicates tool its fairly quick to get the 2D cleaned up and looking right. Once that's done it's worth using the attributes manager to delete unused layers and linetypes etc. that came in with the xref.
Learn and get certified!