Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import SketchUp File To ArchiCAD 15

Stress Co_
Advisor
I downloaded the new SketchUp Import Add-On, but after restarting..... I don't see it in any of the AC15 work environment profiles (or in the list of commands). Add-on Manager shows it is there.
What did I do wrong?

AC15 trial.... 64bit Mac

Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 9.32.03 AM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When you go to these Dialogs, you should be able to select the format in the file types list.
It is not something that appears as a menu item, but a new choice among selectable file types to open/save as.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Stress Co_
Advisor
Thanks Laszlo. I see it now.
Use "Merge"...... enable "Google WH SketchUp File" to import.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
Stress wrote:
Thanks Laszlo. I see it now.
Use "Merge"...... enable "Google WH SketchUp File" to import.
It is kind of weird that the add-on provides support for Open and Merge, but not for Open Object... since the add-on converts the skp file to an object. Would make sense that Open Object handled skp just as it does dwg, but GS puts 3DS and skp into yet different places even though they create objects.

Anyway, yup, "Merge" is what most people will want. And, its great to finally have this running on Macs. 😉

Highly recommend download the Polycount tool from Help > Downloads to check the 'weight' of your Google Warehouse objects lest they impact your file performance too much.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TMA_80
Enthusiast
I'm wondering why Graphisoft are not putting them ( 3ds and skp ) as a default import format without having to install add-ons...
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think they belong to those Add-Ons and downloads that Graphisoft provides for ArchiCAD but does not officially support. This is why they are not part of the package by default.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Thanks Lazlo, that's what I suspected too.

While it is said clearly that there is no support for the 3ds addon- I couldn't find anything about the skp add-on...
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
On these sites you can find more about Google Earth Connection Add-On and about SketchUp Add-On:
http://archicadwiki.com/GoogleEarthConnections and http://archicadwiki.com/SketchUp
Katalin Takacs
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi, Katalin, thanks for the links...

If I dare , I Should ( once agin and I know it is boring) , correct a small affirmation in the wiki article:

"SketchUp for ArchiCAD (Google Earth Connection Add-On contains it by default)" : this is not totally true, cause if I refer to the sketchup webpage, it says this:

"Through its add-on, this mature and globally popular solution ensures a seamless data transfer from concept surfaces and colors into intelligent architectural objects and materials. In Archicad the user will find walls, slabs and other intelligent elements, just the way they had been created in SketchUp from the outset." not true anymore with the integrated one in th GEC...It imports the skp file Yes, but as an object and that's all...no more 'intelligent' conversion.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Although Google Earth Connection Add-On contains SketchUp Add-On, the integration possibilities of SketchUp files have changed over the years. The intelligent element conversion is an affected function.
Katalin Takacs