Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing same line weight, colour from DWG to AC 11 to DWG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
I would think that the discussion about dwg to ac11 to dwg has been an on-going conversation, sorry if I have ask for similar or same questions over and over from previous discussion on Archicad-talk.

What I would like to know if it's possible to import simple site plan of a dwg file with same line weight, colours to AC11?? and convert back to dwg again with same line weight & colours again after working on archicad.
I've tried so many ways!!! open with File special > Merge , attach xref with "editable import" as a translator. but the "thick outline of the buildings" seems to becoming a fill!!! not a line entitiy any more!! what have I done wrong??

please help!!

Much thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Thomas Holm
Booster
What I would like to know if it's possible to import simple site plan of a dwg file with same line weight, colours to AC11?? and convert back to dwg again with same line weight & colours again after working on archicad
You should use the KeepPenIndexNumber (KPIN) translator, both ways. This is the ONLY way of assuring a consistent roundtrip.

And, the below isn't documented anywhere:

Be aware that the pen/color mapping the KPIN translator allows, only works fully if you:
1) Merge the DWG into an empty PLN file,
or if you
2) import it using the Attach XREF command.

If you import using the Open command, Graphisoft's DWG department in its unfathomable wisdom has decided to give you something they think is correct. It might be so, or might not. Some aspects of the translator you've previously set as default will work, but not all, and among them not the pen number mapping. And it will definitely not look the same when you've exported it back to Autocad.

If you import using drag-and-drop or the Place Drawing command (these options give identical results), none of your current translator settings will work. They've decided to use a default translator of their own grace! However, this is a very good fast way of checking the contents of the DWG.

So the KPIN translator is the only one that will give you full control of roundtrip translations. If you also want the imported DWG to look in Archicad as it does in Autocad, you will have to select or customize a pen set that gives you the look you want. Use the Attribute Manager, duplicate a pen set that's close, customize and save.

In our office, we've chosen to standardize on a pen set that mimics the standard Autocad set (pen 1 = red 0.25 mm etc). This minimzes this problem.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Thomas,
Thank you very much for your reply!! your suggestions do really helps, has solved my prolems!!

cheers
Thomas Holm
Booster
Starchi wrote:
but the "thick outline of the buildings" seems to becoming a fill!!! not a line entitiy any more!! what have I done wrong??
I forgot to address this. Sorry.

When importing or exporting DWGs, to get as clean results as possible, set your (On-Screen View Options) line display to Hairline only (not True weight) and all things possible to Vectorial ( not bitmap), and your (Model View Options to) Cut Fills off, and all fill and zone backgrounds to empty. Note that you can save these options as a customised MVO set.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1