Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Include Calculations

greybeard
Newcomer
So, first:
Thank you all for the help you have unwittingly given me over the years (since I taught myself how to use AC 6!). I have never needed to ask an open question before because I am never the only one with a problem.

Now to the question:
I have an ongoing project involving 21 (which may increase) different versions of a system for houses on 3 different foundations & with 6 different cladding options. Here in NZ, we need to demonstrate compliance with an energy efficiency code (NZBC H1). I have developed a block of text that I can, after manually plugging parameters from Element Information into Project Info, and then using Autotext, have them appear in the text box. I then use a calculator to perform the arithmetic functions (x, +, /, 😃 & manually amend the text block.
Here's a screen shot of the text block, the Autotext is in grey (as usual):

This works OK for a one-off design, but is there a way to perform these arithmetic functions automatically?

21 x 3 x 6 = daunting prospect!

I became an architect because all the books had pictures; I don't want to spend days with a calculator in my hand (like an engineer!).
Too old to die pretty!
Win10 Enterprise LTSC, Ryzen 5 2600@3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti,Win10 Enterprise LTSC, AC 22
6 REPLIES 6
poco2013
Mentor
FYI:

The short answer is NO -- Archicad presently has no internal means to perform calculations across multiple elements.

The long answer is: Using the C++ API, this is a easy problem.

Also you may want to wait for version 24. Archicad has recently added Python as a alternate to the C++ API. Using Python, this would be a extremely simple application to program and display and would be available automatically with one click in all plans.

Unfortunately the initial release of Python is extremely limited in the type of elements that can be addressed and roofs , skylights, windows, and doors are not among them. However, in the initial beta release of Python we were promised that it would be expanded starting with the next version of Archicad which would be 24. It may now have that capability. I am not a 24 beta tester, so I don't know if it has been upgraded as promised? If so, this is a simple application that could easily be done in a day.

Maybe a Beta tester might add some insight? Other than that, only a C++ ADDON could do this.

Now, if you want to do more work, you could use expressions and properties to calculate the heat release of various walls, windows, doors, roofs and zones (floors) and then sum those up using a schedule. Somewhat complicated but would also work. IMNOHO -- The setup would be more trouble than just manually adding up areas but once done?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
KeesW
Advocate
Couldn't you use a spreadsheet as a database to both fill in and calculate? There are other Archicad applications that combine Archicad data with Excel.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
rjwilden
Booster
Do you know that Cadimage have a tool that does this. Does all the Math for you.
I would send you an image but don't know how?
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
greybeard
Newcomer
Richard
Thank you for your reply.
Even if you can't attach an image, could you perhaps give me the name of the tool?
If it is part of the select group, then I will be out of luck - I am not a Select customer/member.
Regards
Too old to die pretty!
Win10 Enterprise LTSC, Ryzen 5 2600@3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti,Win10 Enterprise LTSC, AC 22
greybeard
Newcomer
poco2013 wrote:
FYI:

The short answer is NO -- Archicad presently has no internal means to perform calculations across multiple elements.

The long answer is: Using the C++ API, this is a easy problem.

Also you may want to wait for version 24. Archicad has recently added Python as a alternate to the C++ API. Using Python, this would be a extremely simple application to program and display and would be available automatically with one click in all plans.

Unfortunately the initial release of Python is extremely limited in the type of elements that can be addressed and roofs , skylights, windows, and doors are not among them. However, in the initial beta release of Python we were promised that it would be expanded starting with the next version of Archicad which would be 24. It may now have that capability. I am not a 24 beta tester, so I don't know if it has been upgraded as promised? If so, this is a simple application that could easily be done in a day.

Maybe a Beta tester might add some insight? Other than that, only a C++ ADDON could do this.

Now, if you want to do more work, you could use expressions and properties to calculate the heat release of various walls, windows, doors, roofs and zones (floors) and then sum those up using a schedule. Somewhat complicated but would also work. IMNOHO -- The setup would be more trouble than just manually adding up areas but once done?
poco2013
Thank for the suggestion. I know nothing about C++ (whatever that may mean) but I will see if I can find the add-on & then figure what/how it does it's thing.
Regards
Too old to die pretty!
greybeard
Newcomer
KeesW wrote:
Couldn't you use a spreadsheet as a database to both fill in and calculate? There are other Archicad applications that combine Archicad data with Excel.
Kees

Yes, it would be possible to use a stand alone spreadsheet, however I would need a separate spreadsheet for each project & every time I wanted to update, I would then need to open the spreadsheet & save (as <*.pdf>?) for updating in AC. It's easier to update the text in AC (with little bit of manual calculation), I think, & it's updated automatically by AC.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Regards
Too old to die pretty!