BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Is there a 3rd Party tool for Quantity Take Offs

dcerezo
Advocate
Having come over from Revit where take offs were a breeze, I realize that doing the same thing in ArchiCAD is....cumbersome....to put it gently. Is there a 3rd party add on that anyone can recommend which makes this task easier?
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you post a screenshot of the result you would like to achieve? Maybe screenshot you achieved in Revit so we can see how the same result can be obtained in ARCHICAD.
Are you familiar with Component Schedules? I think you might want to do an Element Schedules where you should be doing a Component Schedule.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiQuant provides users with a simpler and more immediate way for Quantity Take Offs and Cost Estimation linked to the construction elements in an ArchiCAD Virtual Building.

http://www.cigraph.it/en/node/324
godi
Enthusiast
You can do it easily (but with a little previous work) inside AC without any 3rd party app, only using properties and lists.

You first need to assign components to every object, with is own properties scripts in objets, windows and doors, or with a linked property library object for walls, slab and so on. All this properties can be parametric and dependent of every element own special characteristics as you like to define it.

When you have this preliminar work done (yes, it can be tedious if you have a huge library of objets or composite elements) all you have to do in every project is to ask for a list of components, that you can have listed by floors, zones, etc, with equal elements grouped or not, etc.

We have been using this for years without making any manual measurement in any project.

But, and I can't understand why, Graphisoft has neglected this way of work in benefit of schedules, a system with which is impossible to obtain a real and effective list of materials.

For now you can still use this list system, but not with the new stair and rail objects, Graphisoft has not implemented properties in these. You will have to measure they "by hand"
dcerezo
Advocate
That just seems crazy to me. There needs to be an easier way. The data is in there....the 1's and 0's are in there. Instead of all of us having to put in all of this time to figure out how much drywall our project has, GS needs to put in the time to make it easier for us to find out.

The current solution is like going to a bakery and them saying, "Well, we don't sell you bread....we sell you all of the ingredients, you make it. It's really not that hard."

Give me a break.
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Make a schedule, specify criteria to get to what result you expect, get information. If you need some basic information on the fly, there is Element Information palette. At the level of building materials it is quite fast to get quantities, provided your model is reasonably decent.

The struggle is to link costs to quantity without going back to the system of lists as described by Godi. That takes quite some time to setup.

For our projects we use a spreadsheet for cost calculation and I use schedules to get quantities for certain things. Some things I don't model (trim mostly) and I just calculate that with the numbers I've put in the spreadsheet for the most part. Depending on the size of the project I ussually have a cost calculation done in a day or two. These are quite detailed though. Initial estimates we just go for gross volume multiplied by expected level of luxury.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
godi
Enthusiast
Erwin wrote:
Make a schedule, specify criteria to get to what result you expect, get information. If you need some basic information on the fly, there is Element Information palette. At the level of building materials it is quite fast to get quantities, provided your model is reasonably decent.

The struggle is to link costs to quantity without going back to the system of lists as described by Godi. That takes quite some time to setup.

For our projects we use a spreadsheet for cost calculation and I use schedules to get quantities for certain things. Some things I don't model (trim mostly) and I just calculate that with the numbers I've put in the spreadsheet for the most part. Depending on the size of the project I ussually have a cost calculation done in a day or two. These are quite detailed though. Initial estimates we just go for gross volume multiplied by expected level of luxury.

I don’t know in other places but in our country every architecture office uses specialized applications to make cost estimation.

The only think we need from the architecture design app is a detailed quantities list of every material or works with a reference to link it with a particular budget item in the database of that specialized application.

In Archicad that list can, at least in the present moment, be obtained only with the properties system. You need some preliminar work, is true, but once it is done you have it ready for all your future projects. When every 3D build design finished you can have his quantities list in seconds
Cosmin Ghioanca
Contributor
This post is so old. I don't know if you've found an answer to your question or not, or if use ArchiCAD anymore. Yes there are some third-party programs that can do the math for you but you shouldn't trust third-party apps more then you trust the basic app.

Don't panic! ArchiCAD can do the job just like Revit does it. In Revit you specify some parameters of calculation needed for any kind of take out and you need to do that for all material used. It's the same thing here, no big deal. Both programs come whit a basic template that contain info's about some general materials used in different regions of the world by specific standards. But none of them are just enough to be considered ready-to-use. I'm using the program in Romania and the firm that sells the licences is making more personalized templates for this region so that if get the licence from them you get this premium function.

Now, in my opinion over that template that I got from them, I worked few more days (and still make more updates on every project I have) so I can get something that I can trust working whit.

You need to do just that and form the point where you have a nice template you can generate schedules. Accurate and specific material take-outs of any kind of material used, at any construction faze, for every single element if needed. Those quantities I export to an excel that can be imported to an estimation program that I use for 90% of my projects.

Up there I've said 90% because there is that 10% where I just take those quantities and copy them to another excel template where I have the labour prices, VAT and other prices, taxes and totals (just for fast estimations - some clients just need a total approximate cost of building).

Hope that this will help you!
Archicad 6-6.5-9-10-11-13-15-16-18-20-21-22-23

64-bit OS Windows 10 Pro

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz CPU

AMD Radeon HD 5670 GPU

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 512(500)GB SATA

WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 1TB(931)GB SATA

WD MyPassport 259F 1TB(931)GB USB3
this arrived in my mailbox yesterday:
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac