BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Is there a way to save common text items, such that they can be inserted from a menu onto the releva

reene11
Participant

For my projects, there often seems to be items of text that are relevant to all of my projects that I use on all projects. Currently I have a template with all of the bits of text I often used saved in a chart on the ground floor plan tab.

When I require one I simply go to that area and copy/paste into place.

I wondered if there was a more efficient way of doing this, such that I can save them all into my template file and then select the relevant text via a drop down / menu and insert into place.

I do already use labels for things like windows and beams to create schedules. Perhaps there is some functionality I am missing within this area?

5 REPLIES 5
Rico
Booster

The Project Info palette (File>Info>Project Info) allows you to add custom fields when can then be used as autotext.

iMac 27" 5K • macOS 10.15.7 Catalina • 40GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 5004 FRA
Ryzen Threadripper 3970X • Windows 10 • 64GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 Solo UKI

You can save them as favorites, I have everything I need to draw an entire structure presaved in my favorites

Karl Ottenstein

I prefer the Project Info : Autotext method mentioned by @Rico because it is extremely flexible.  

The common text can be inserted into any place in Archicad that accepts text - any tool, function, anywhere.

It is a database... if you change the text in the Project Info field - the text is changed everywhere in the project - no need to hunt it down.

(Because of this database-like feature - the Autotext ID pulling in the Project Info field - not only can you correct/adjust the text - but if you need to translate the text, you have only the Project Info to translate and it appears everywhere.  E.g., a Canadian architect who has a project in Quebec.)

A negative is the challenge of naming all of these text phrases so you know which Autotext to select.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

One issue I've encountered is that you can't control linebreaks. This sometimes might lead to a bit botched up text, that you wouldn't have set if it has been done manually.

It's just a minor thing really, but sometimes has to be considered.

This just has let me think of a wish 🤔: The possibility to "render" autotext (make it regular text).

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

I like to use properties for all my auto labels.

I use auto text for constants.

Either way it's all saved to my favorites.

Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!