BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Merge uniform items length problem!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there!

Is it possible in any way to merge uniform items in schedules with different length (as it is calculating with volumes or areas, for ex. see attached pics.), so I get just a summary length of all the items?

Thanks ahead!)
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Markit:

Yes. In the Scheme Settings > Fields, add the Sum sign "∑" to the values you want to total.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Markit:

Yes. In the Scheme Settings > Fields, add the Sum sign "∑" to the values you want to total...

David
Thanks, that is clear, but I'm asking about Merge Uniform Items check box, there is a problem with length value. It is possible to merge items with different volume or area values, but I'm confused how to merge items with different length.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Markit:

From the Help files: (User Interface Reference > Dialog Boxes > Format Options (Interactive Schedule):

Merge Uniform Items: If this checkbox is active, identical items will be grouped in the schedule in a single record. If it is inactive, all items will be listed individually.
Items are uniform if the values of their fields are identical (e.g. same element type, surface, orientation). If the only difference between two elements is their area or volume, they are still considered uniform.

So it looks like there is not an option for merging items with different lengths.

Thanks for adding the signature.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! I've read the help files before about area or volume grouping. Just wondering why there is no possibility to merge items by length, as this is the same value as an area or volume.

So seems that if I have to calculate and show on the specifications layout just the total length of all my sidewalk borders (for ex.) the only way to do this is to cut my schedule view on the layout? And if the number of my borders will change, I will have to do this again...and again

Maybe somebody knows another solution?
555.JPG
And to further complicate the situation, you can not assign Element ID per a length either.
These kinds of problems translate into all kinds of awkward work flows and workarounds.

It should be a very basic and routine thing to assign the same ID's for things per their length. Like part numbers of an assembly. All the parts of the same length being assigned the same ID, and the total lengths of things with the same ID shown in a Schedule. I can do that, but not without a lot of fussy work.
There is always a way to get what you want from ArchiCAD, but it may not be a very efficient process.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!