BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

NBS Building add-on Mac Version?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi does anybody know if there is an add-on for NBS Building to ArchiCAD 16 Mac version? or is anybody working on one?

I have seen the PC version.

ps. it seems there is a free add-on for Revit on the NBS web site
9 REPLIES 9
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Neil wrote:
Hi does anybody know if there is an add-on for NBS Building to ArchiCAD 16 Mac version? or is anybody working on one?
Encina Ltd developed the NBS add-on, and we do have a Mac version (we're big Mac fans). Unfortunately it isn't much use at this point because NBS itself is Windows-only. If anyone would like a Mac version, the first step is to contact NBS and request genuine Mac support (I say 'genuine' because they might suggest running Parallels et al., which is about as supportive as applying bandaid to a broken leg).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are looking for a Mac version of the NBS tool

We don't need the fancy back and forth changes that can be made with the PC NBS tool but a more limited tool that can read a .spec file or exported .txt file and use it to label details. Does anyone offer anything similar? The masterspec tool for Mac looks like what we need but for .spex .csv .xml or .txt

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
A wrote:
We are looking for a Mac version of the NBS tool
We don't need the fancy back and forth changes that can be made with the PC NBS tool but a more limited tool that can read a .spec file or exported .txt file and use it to label details. Does anyone offer anything similar? The masterspec tool for Mac looks like what we need but for .spex .csv .xml or .txt
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Take a look at our Keynotes tool. This can import csv or txt files, label elements, audit existing labels (when the specification data changes) and produce keynote schedules for layouts. Labelling can also be linked to attributes, e.g. specification references can be associated with a specific material, composite etc.
Ralph Wessel BArch
DGSketcher
Legend
I keep sending emails to NBS for mac support for all their products but when not ignored the usual response is to use windows enabling software. You would have thought such an influential organisation might have realised how many mac users there are by now
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Take a look at our Keynotes tool. This can import csv or txt files, label elements, audit existing labels (when the specification data changes) and produce keynote schedules for layouts. Labelling can also be linked to attributes, e.g. specification references can be associated with a specific material, composite etc.
Thank you. We will give your keynotes tool a try. Also we will try labelling materials and components with NBS references. Thank you.
Jim Allen
Expert
I haven't seen the Windows version, so I don't know what it does, however the point about not making a a Mac version because there isn't a version of NBS for it seems fair actually.

What also seems reasonable, is for NBS to consider building a web-based version of Create, which runs in a Browser, doesn't require installation or regular updating, runs independently of any OS, and can link to a BIM application for annotation.

BIMObject have an Add-In that links to and embeds content from the web, why shouldn't NBS do that?

Surely running in a Browser would simplify Support significantly?

It would hugely simplify running and maintaining NBS Applications for users and System Administrators.

Failing that, a Mac version that reads the Specification file might be all that is required. As a subset of the Keynotes tool (which is too expensive for many for a monthly subscription) tailored specifically to NBS, this should be okay.
Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jim wrote:
What also seems reasonable, is for NBS to consider building a web-based version of Create, which runs in a Browser, doesn't require installation or regular updating, runs independently of any OS, and can link to a BIM application for annotation.
There are examples of this in commercial use, and we've developed a link to one of them already for Masterspec. This couples your ARCHICAD project (via Keynotes) to the live content of a cloud-based specification. It would be fantastic to have the same capabilities for NBS.
Ralph Wessel BArch
PB
Advocate
Ralph wrote:
Jim wrote:
There are examples of this in commercial use, and we've developed a link to one of them already for Masterspec. This couples your ARCHICAD project (via Keynotes) to the live content of a cloud-based specification. It would be fantastic to have the same capabilities for NBS.
Add my vote for a Mac native (browser, or other...) nbs interface: Their tight-lipped refusal to consider anything other than running Windows on an emulator is infuriating.

I understand that the RIBA owns NBS:The Windows only criteria would seem to unfairly (unethically) privilege one company (Microsoft) over its competitors (Apple, Linux)...

Furthermore, a disproportionately large proportion of architects work on Macs: Surely the RIBA is aware of this?
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
PB
Advocate
In fact, given that this is a constant thorn in our side, I shall pen (type) a communication directly to the RIBA president & Board.

May I suggest that as many of us Mac based UK ArchiCAD users as possible do the same...?
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
Learn and get certified!