Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Navisworks and ArchiCAD 11

JaredBanks
Mentor
Is exporting to NavisWorks from ArchiCAD 11 possible? So far my searching on this forum and the internet has not given me any clear answers. I tried calling NavisWorks and got this recorded message "thank you for calling AutoDesk, the office is currently closed..." It's 10:40 am there right now?! Come On!

The point. We're going to be working on an 80,000 sq. ft. project and the contractor wants to coordinate everything through NavisWorks. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
22 REPLIES 22
Erika Epstein
Booster
Yes you can. Save as a 3D dwg.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking at this link, it would suggest ifc may work. Is this still correct?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10578958

At the top of the page there is also a link to a pdf that goes into greater detail.
JaredBanks
Mentor
How do you save as a 3D dwg? I'm not familiar with that and again can't find anything on it. I can find how to open a 3D dwg... not my day for finding answers on my own.

I guess it's also time to learn about ifc.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can save a 3d dwg by 'saving as' from the 3d window. Select dwg as the file format. Check the translator settings - there are a few 3d specific settings. It will capture anything visible in the 3d window so you can use the marquee, cutplanes and layer settings etc to select what you want exporting.

(I have to be careful with this, I got this wrong last time! ) To import a 3d dwg, you can open it as an object under 'file' > 'libraries and objects' > 'open object'. Select .dwg as the file type.

For info on IFC, there are several articles on the ArchiCADWiki that may be useful.

Hope that helps.
JaredBanks
Mentor
That helps a lot. Sounds like a pain though!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't know about AC11, but I just posted this in another topic:

I just read an article on AECBytes which talks about the new AutoDesk 2010 product line. There is one line there which says:

[NavisWorks'] Support for non-Autodesk applications such as ArchiCAD 12 has been updated, along with support for a new file format, JT Open, which is common in manufacturing.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
JaredBanks wrote:
That helps a lot. Sounds like a pain though!
No, it is really very easy. 3D dwgs, while not parametric for us are much smaller files than IFC files. This is fine as when we use programs such as Navisworks we are interested in how the varioius building elements and systems overlap in space.

I've successfully exhanged files for a number of projects with consultants who use Revit MEP, structural and/or plumbing. Construction Companies rely on Navisworks and the overlaid 3Ddwgs for clash analysis in their weekly meetings.

It's important that all team members agree on which point of the building will be at what point such as 0,0,0. This ensures that the models from all disciplines are correctly registered.

Throughout the design and CD process combining 3D DWGs should be part of your work process on a regular basis. Archicad, Revit and other similar program have the ability to navigate through the combined building and systems in 3D space.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Erika wrote:
It's important that all team members agree on which point of the building will be at what point such as 0,0,0. This ensures that the models from all disciplines are correctly registered.
Excellent point, Erika!
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
JaredBanks
Mentor
Erika,

Thanks. That does sound way easier than I was fearing. Does anyone know of a good primer on this? I'm guessing the more knowledge I can have about the process the better. I'm hoping to head over to the contractor's or engineers office in the next week or three with my laptop so that I can save a couple 3D dwg and ifc files and see them open in Navisworks. I think that'd help me a lot understand the whole process. And be really nice to see the otherside.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects