Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Opening DWF files in archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been recently working with archicad after having worked with Autocad.

Therefore I have many dwf files created in Autocad that I wish to open in Archicad. Is this possible? I tried to open one and it shows as being blank.

If someone could help me I would be very grateful.

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12
Djordje
Ace
Which version of AutoCAD?

Try placing one as external drawing.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
jp
Contributor
I have the same problem. None of the dwf options in autocad 2007 make a dwf that is readable in archicad
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Dalgliesh Gilpin Paxton Architects
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Mercy, JP,
We don't see your ArchiCAD versions. I believe AC12 should be able to open those files. It can save AutoCAD 2007 files, that is for sure.
It is possible that the AC version you are using may not be capable of opening DWF 2007 version files.
Is it possible for you to get those DWF files in an earlier version, like DWF 2004. AC should be able to open those.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
jp
Contributor
I've tried in 11 and 12 witht he same results. I made a big jump in Auotocad versions from 14 to 2009 so I don't have anything in between to try out. I tried the 4 preset dwf printers autocad came with and then tried tweeking some of those settings to no avail. When I place the dwf, I just get a small box. When I go to the drawing manager, the status is "not read yet". Nothing will change that.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In that case I would try to download from the web a DWF converter program that can write earlier DWF versions. Or there are DWF to DWG converters. The point is to create a file that can actually be read by ArchiCAD.
jp
Contributor
It's sad we have to jump through so many hoops to work with Autocad files. Exporting an Archicad file to Autocad works great. Autocad into Archiad is another story. Autocad doesn't know which way is up half the time and they certainly don't care to play nice with other programs.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So have you succeeded?
What was the issue?
jp
Contributor
Uh, no. Just complaining about autocad. Haven't found a solution yet.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Anonymous
Not applicable
Still stuck with this problem myself..... does anyone know a work-a-round that will allow me to import and trace DWF's ?